calling a teacher by first name

My hubby and his friends call their teacher they had in high school by her first name. I am not sure if they have ever called her Mrs Franklin(i made up an last name). I think that it is so rude that they call her Sarah(not her real name).
I think that it is rude.
so ladies what are your thoughts

BOOGIETHEBOOG

Asked by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 5:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Dont teachers have 1st names also? I HATE HATE HAAAATE being called by my last name....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have great respect for teachers, so I always call them "Mr. X, Ms. X, Mrs. X, professor. etc." I noticed that in college my peers often called our professors by their first names, but I never did, even when I was told by one of my professors that I could. I told them I saw it as a sign of disrespect and I simply couldn't do it. Even now I go to alumni dinners and I still call them by their titles.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Well if they are all grown now and she is not their taecher anymore who cares? Also does the teacher want them to call her by her first name?If she has no objections than I don't see what the problem is.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 5:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think it's only truly disrespectful if she didn't ask to be called that. If she did ask, it's not disrespectful to honor her wishes, now is it? Perhaps you would prefer a more formal etiquette when dealing with authority figure type people, but some people prefer a less formal association.
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Maybe she asked them too. I told the students to call me Miss Leslie when i was a substitute.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yes so rude
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 5:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Is she a lot older than them or close to his age? When I was a senior we had a couple of teachers right out of college that we all called by their first names. They told us we could do so. It would have been odd calling them Mr. or Miss SoAndSo, they were younger than my brothers.
    Anonymous

• i think that she is about 5 years older than them
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 5:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Well, duh! That explains it. She feels too young to be called by such a formal name and they would feel weird calling her that too. Besides...this isn't the dark ages. No one has those values anymore..same as girls don't have to wear dresses to school anymore.
    Anonymous

• lol, my teacher/volleyball coach used to always come in where i work, and one day i was like HI STEVE!!!! and hes like its Mr Allen to you..and im like, yaa 10 years ago when i was in school it was..but not anymore!! he wasnt to impressed!! but whatever, hes not my teacher anymore, therefore i can call him whatever i want! saying mr/miss/mrs whatever, is sign of respect..i dont respect them, so why should i!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009