what do you have or recommend for your kitchen floors: laminate wood OR tile?

Thanks for responding

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• honestly we just did our kitchen over and we got laminte..i would have gotten wood if i had to do it over.they said it was stronger and you canttell the difference.yes you can.it sounds sort of like plastic when you walk on it.and it feels sort like it has hills in it.i would have spent the extra and got wood.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Tile. Laminate is put together tongue in groove. It is too easy for liquid spills in the kitchen to get down underneath it and ruin it. Plus you are not supposed to get it really wet. Only damp mop kind of thing. We just put it in our howhole living room, family room and hall 2 yrs ago. Tile is way better. You can scrub it, sanitize it. Spills clean up easily.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have rolled laminate in my kitchen ... so we don't have the issue that GrnEyedGrandma is talking about. I definitely recommend, if getting laminate, that you get it off the roll, NOT laminate tiles.

I had tile in my old place and liked it, but when it got dirty (grout was white) it really showed. And anything that was glass would shatter if I dropped it. Not the case now with my laminate.

I'd prefer hardwood, but it's a bit expensive. You know, they do make a laminate hardwood that is installed like hardwood (not in a laminate roll, or laminate tiles). They are a bit pricey, but very nice. My brother had them installed in his kitchen and it looks great.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We have laminate. We were going to do tile but someone recommended not to because there's a greater chance of dishes breaking with the tile. My dd has dropped a few plates and stuff and they didn't break. They are pretty cheap dishes too. My mom had tile in her kitchen and hated it. It was hard to stand on for cooking and washing dishes. We've had water spill on our laminate without any problems. You just have to clean it up in a reasonable amount of time. It really depends on the quality of the laminate too. You get what you pay for.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• we have hardwood in living room, and laminite upstairs... our hardwood looks like shit, all scratched up from dog, but our laminte is perfect. i prefer the laminite to be honest
    kristalsfirst

Answer by kristalsfirst at 8:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I like the look and feel of tile, especially travertine.
    Wood would probably get ruined in my high traffic kitchen and I am so sick of linoleum...lol.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009