How to deal with a pushy EX who just don't get it

My 16yo daughter needs braces baddly, I have taken her for a consultation about a yr. ago and she had to get some teeth pulled first. It is going to be very expensive. Her dad, who never provided ins. suddenly got ins. on her in Nov. of 08' and is in a big rush to get her braces done b4 his ins. runs out when she is 18. I understand this is crucial but he is pusshing for me to make the appointment to get it done. What he does not understand is his ins. and my hubby's ins. is not going to cover the whole bill. I just got laid off from my job and my hubby has lost a significant amount of HRS. We can't afford it right now and he is not willing to pay it all. I have told him all this but he thinks it won't cost much out of pocket and won't let up. How do I make him see that we cannot aford this bill right now - I have 2 other children also. And he pays CS but it is only $47/wk - not even close to what it should be!

mamma2all5

Asked by mamma2all5 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• tell him to call the orthodontist and ask how much its going to cost for her braces. then when he sees how much it actually is going to cost out of pocket he may not be so pushy.
    and on a side note, all my brothers and sisters had braces, all at diff orthodonists and each one allowed my parents to go onto a payment schedule instead of paying it all up front, you may want to talk to hers about that option
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Tell him to make the appt and take her. Out of pocket needs to be out of his pocket first. $47 a week is ridiculous. Theat doesn't barely would cover her groceries for a week.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Did u guys get a pretreatment estimate from both ins. To see what your cost is going to be? Usually ins. Co. Can tell u that, just have the orthodontist send in a pre-treatment to both ins. Co. And see what they say.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I do understand your problem,but,I also see what your ex is saying too,if, his insurance stops when she get 18,and she is 16 now,in order for the insurance to pay,wouldn't she have to start the x-rays,fittings,etc. now,can you check and see if that have a payment plan,this question comes at a funny time,I'm taking my son to be check tommorow for braces,and,I just found out ,they won't take his fathers insurance, they will take my insurance and I know there is going to be an excess.
    Anonymous

• So tell her you cannot afford it like normal parents do, and tell her to start saving.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• id make him take her and pay the out of pocket...tell him if its soo important then he can make the appt...and take her and pay the out of pocket PERIOD. And just so you know im pretty sure you would qualify for medical/medicaid which would pay for the braces...I dont know if maybe you thought about that or not and im not 100 percent sure if you would qualify but its atleast worth a try and if you dont you can always get her braces the way I originally said by making her dad take her
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Have you thought about a dental school? My mom was a single parent with 2 kids and was receiving NO child support, but she took me to a dental school and it was about half as much, and she made payments on every visit.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• insurance generally does not cover orthodontics.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009