teen bedwetting

Ever hear of a teen begining bed wetting at 16 for no reason. Any ideas of why? Going to the doctor on Monday but am just curious. We throw a towel on his bed for now. This has been going on for close to two weeks. Any suggestions or ideas why his is happening?

MissLisa7657

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My SD is 13 and it happens sometimes. Bed time is at 10:30, so nothing to eat or drink after 9. She goes to the bathroom right before going to bed, and it still sometimes happens. We took her to the doctor and they put her on a medication, but I don't remember the name of it. We only give it to her when she is going to a friends house or to camp as it causes the body to make less urine that normal. Could be an emotional thing going on 16 is a hard age! Good Luck!
    haileysmom2833

Answer by haileysmom2833 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Emotional, or physical...could be bladder is weakening, the muscles are contracting more. Could be stress, duno whats goin on in his life, but high school is hard and stress affects the body in many ways. Im sure hes embarassed..soo...this is rough..but hopefully meds will fix it...Good luck!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Could be something going on in school...or something medical. Have you tried talking to him about it?
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Might be stress, or maybe he got hit or something
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Weak bladder, infection, emotional stress. It could be a lot of different things. Get a plastic sheet cover that goes over the mattress but under the sheets. It will protect the mattress. Best of luck at the doctors.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would get to a doctor asap.
    My friend started wetting the bed at 12- and went until 17 it was because she was being molested.
    the fear at night would cause her to wet the bed instead of getting up.
    It could be something simple like loss of bladder control but I would think that if it only happends at night there is a reason.
    talk to him/her.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely get it checked out as soon as you can, it could be something medical, serious or not. But if its not alot of times things like that at an older age are caused by emotional trauma and display alot of times if the child is being sexually abused.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if this could be . but a friends of my moms duaghter wet het bed when she was a teenager too, but the reason was that she wanted to live on her on and get. married .then one year she moved out to an apartment at age 18 .and she all of the sudden stopped wetting her bed. True story . Then she came home and started wetting the bed again. but not as often but still did. then 3 yrs later she married and moved out. and she never wet the bed again. I think her mom was on her case a little too much and that put a little too much stress on her. or her friends have a more independent life and she wants the same..
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009