Can children be potty-trained at 2 yrs old???

I was thinking of potty-training my son when he turns 2 yrs old. Is that possible? Has anyone done it, and do U have any tips?

xXAdrianXx

Asked by xXAdrianXx at 5:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i potty trained my dd when she was a little over 2 years old, she'll be 3 in july & still wears panties :) now we're working on the night time potty training, she's not doing so well with that. i made a potty chart for her with the days of the week on it & i'd put a little sticker on it every time she went potty.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• yes i trained mine, i started a few weeks before his 2 bday just playing with the idea i bought a potty and just left it in the living room so he could explore it and boy did he, 1 months after his 2 bday iam proud to say he doesnt use diapers anymore. what i did i just sat with him alot and togethr we looked over the potty everytime explaining to him what its for lots of hand gestures, i let him run around the house with out pants and yes he did have accidents but when he peed on the floor i had him help me clean it and i would then walk him to his potty also very important we constantly reminded him to go potty and while lost of people may disagree so what it worked for us, to get him to go poop we would make a huge deal about it dnace and high five and i kept sweet tarts n i would say u go poop u get candy and guess what he now goes all on his own when we r out we take along the potty n we remind him still any way good luck
    mommyto2txboys

Answer by mommyto2txboys at 6:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• When i worked at a nursery we had a lot of boys that were potty trained at 2 yrs old..granted most of them had mommys that stayed at home with them all day and could work at this constantly...but it is def. possible. just takes time and patience..and remember this is the last little bit of control they have left over themselves...so it may be a struggle...but "mommytotxboys" has a great idea...exploring and explaining helps...and REMIND HIM>>>kids play and forget...they have accidents all the time because they get caught up with playing.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It can be done. It has been done many times in the past.
    BUT -
    Those kids grew up in soggy cloth diapers and knew what it meant to be wet.
    They had moms who were with them all day and watched for the signs of a child needing to go - and the MOM got the kid to the potty. She didn't wait for him to ask, she didn't ask him. She simply took him or told him to go.
    Lots of time, lots of patience, lots of effort, and a little luck.
    The biggest thing is to not get mad at your child. And don't expect him to master it in one go or even a few months. Potty training takes years when you include wiping, hand washing, and remembering to go all on your own.

And nighttime is not included in potty training. Nighttime dryness has nothing to do with day time training. It's like expecting someone who does meditation breathing exercises in the day to not snore at night. What happens while you are asleep is not in your control.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, it's possible.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It's possible. But readiness is key. Some kids are ready to be potty trained at 2 some at 18 months some at 3. Take his cues, including a dry diaper for more than 2 hours, interest in the other going thought the motions of using the toilet, hiding to do his business and asking to be changed. He doesn't have to have all of these signs to mean he is ready, just a few. Just be patient and consistent and don't get discouraged if it takes longer than you think it should. My son started potty training at 2 and was not done until 3 and a half. I think it was the pull-ups that slowed his progress. With DD I will skip straight to the thick underwear and rubber pants with pull ups for over night and car trips.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Kaycee14 hit the nail on the head! My son was potty-trained at 26 months and it took a lot of hard work, but it was SO worth it!
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 9:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Absolutely possible, it just takes dedication and hard work from the parent, just like teaching our children anything else they need to be taught to use the potty. My ds has been pee trained since 18months, poop took more work, but I've saved a ton of money just from him being pee trained.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• First... no... kids who potty train early are not raised in soggy diapers....Please...

Second.. I have had TWO trained BEFORE they were 2. Jenna was 18months for daytime and 23months for night time. Bailey was 22 months for daytime and 27months for nighttime. What I did was from the time they were a year old, I brought them into the bathroom with me. They sat on their potty and I sat on mine. If they went... it was a "Wow, you went pee pee like Mommy does." I never used food, or "geting" something with them. The reason for that is that rather then being matter of fact... Potty... it can get into a struggle for control. I also had them wear undeware... no pull-ups during the day. Have a LOT on hand when you first start for accidents.

Yes, it can be done!! Go for it and Good Luck!!!
    kellynh

Answer by kellynh at 10:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes its very possible. Ive trained both of my girls (completely, day and night) within a couple of months of being 2. Brianna was 2 years and 2 weeks when she was completely potty trained. I started at 2 years and 3 months with Kassidy and she was potty trained within 2 days. Its definitely possible for you to train your 2 year old, and no neither of them were part of the soggy diaper club, they were just ready. Just be prepared to be very patient, and remember to remind them, and things should be great. Having the potty chair out and about for you child to get used to, is also a great plan of action. Good luck.. I hope it goes great! ~Kristin~
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 11:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009