Celiac Disease

My sister-in-law was diagnosed w/ CD and strongly suggests I get my son tested. Has anyone done that before? How old does he have to be? What is the procedure, and will my son need to be 'prepped' for it? And, finally, is it difficult to find Gluten-free foods?

xXAdrianXx

Asked by xXAdrianXx at 6:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would go to a natural doc before going to an MD. The MD will reccommend surgery to take a sample of his stomach. Try and go to a chiro. they can usually test for things like that naturally. Check that out first, before surgery. Just my opinion.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• check this out. it might help. don't know how to do a hyperlink so just cut and paste in your browser.
    http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• we're doing gluten free at our house and its a lot easier now than it was a few years ago. just search a lot online and go slow. you'll get used to it.
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 6:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I guess the first question should be, why is your SIL thinking your son should be checked for Celiac? Does he have any symptoms? If not, then I don't think I would worry about it, but if he is having symptoms, then he should be seen by a pediatric GI.

Testing can be done at any age and it can start with bloodwork and go all the way to having the child scoped and a small biopsy of the intestines taken to determine if there is damage consistent w/having CD.

As for foods, it is easier than ever to find GF foods, but preparing GF meals w/o buying specialty items is just as easy. Someone with CD can eat all fruits, veggies, meats, and dairy (unless otherwise specified, as some CD patients also have problems with the proteins found in milk), plus rice, quinoa, buckwheat (which isn't really wheat), teff, tapioca flour, sorghum, and more. There are literally dozens of specialty cookbooks available & many online resources, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It is very easy to find gluten-free foods. Think beans, rice, fruits and vegetables. Some people with Celiac have bad reactions to meat and dairy because of what the animals are fed.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My ds had to have several tests done for different things. If I remember correctly, they took blood and tested for Celiac. Since your sister-in-law has been diagnosed with it, your husband should consider being tested as well. I know a family where the father has Celiac. He started having symptoms when he 40. One of his daughter's didn't have Celiac until she was pregnant. The other 5 children don't have it. Since it is genetic, it doesn't hurt to verify that they don't have it. Or, you could just go gluten free.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009