Constipation

I have started to give my daughter rice cereal but it makes her constipated. Do you think that i could put a little prune juice in the cereal and then little by little decrease the amount of prune juice until i'm not putting any. Do you think that would help and that by the time i stop adding the prune juice that her body will be used to the rice cereal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try oat based cereal. Maybe she just doesn't act well with rice.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I've tried to give her barley cereal but that constipated her as well. Should i try oatmeal?
    Anonymous

• you can add prune juice to her cereal, yes. You can also use the jars of prunes and heat it up for about 6 seconds, mix it in the cereal, (with milk/formula). She will get used to it. My kids had the same problem with rice and oatmeal cereal.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• 2wndrfl btrflys....how much prune juice or prunes should i put in the cereal and for how long?
    Anonymous

• I would change her to baby oatmeal. Rice is binding and if she has trouble with it she probabably will continue to have problems with it.
    If that blocks her up as well I would just skip the cereals... they aren't NEEDED. You could move on to another food like avocado (great first food)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My doc recommended 1/8th teaspoon of prune juice- twice a day.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my son is on soy formula which is constipating so i started fiving my son fruit and that helped alot.
    peaches or pears seemed to be the best.We haven't tried prunes but i'm sure they would work too
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 6:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2009