How can I get my son to clean his room when everything I have tried, even taking things away, haven't helped?

My son is 7 years old and he REFUSES to clean his room or do any other chore, even homework. We take his things away and tell him he can't have them back until he does said chore but he still refuses to do them, or he will throw a tantrum to try and get out of it. I'm tired of all the arguing and crying on his part, I need some advice, please.

rdbttrfly

Asked by rdbttrfly at 6:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make cleaning into a game and offer a reward. I gave my daughter a sticker sheet. Every time she did something good like cleaned her room or went potty she got a sticker. After so many stickers she got a special treat. Try making a race or letting them decide where the toys should placed.
    fuelsgirl2

Answer by fuelsgirl2 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I asked my Husband what would he do and he said. Wait till he’s is out of the house, (may be send him to grandma’s or something). Then while he is gone take EVERYTHING out of his room and just leave the mattress. Tell him, since he can’t keep it clean and take care of his things, then he doesn’t need anything, and by not having anything there’ll be no mess. He’ll probable have a tantrum but he’ll get over it. Remember, unless he has a job and is helping with the bills. It’s YOUR house, and YOUR things. His job right now IS the chores, and good grades.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I put my son in his room and tell him to clean it. He has to stay there until it is clean(except to use the bathroom) when he is done he can come out. There was one Saturday where he was served lunch and dinner in his room because he was not done yet. He finally cleaned it up when I met him the next morning with his breakfast. I also tell him that everyone in the family has jobs. It's my job to help the puppies and kitties at my work and Daddy's job to sell electronics. It is his job to go to school and do a good job. It is everyone in the family's job to keep the house clean and safe. I tell him that he is a part of the family and is therefore expected to do his part.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We tell the kids that with the privledge of having nice things and their own room comes the responsibilty of keeping it clean. If it is too much trouble for them to keep things in their room clean, we are more than happy to remove the items from the room. One time my son refused to clean so I walk in his room, unpluged the TV and started to move it to the garage. He cried out..."no i can keep it clean" and he has even since.

You have to mean business. If need be take EVERY but his bed out of his room and let him earn items with choirs like a pay check. When he shows he can make his bed and keep his clothes organized, you give him something. If he can keep that item clean then he can earn something else. Good luck!
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Take it all away. Can't take care of it, can't have it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• my mother packed everything and i mean EVERYTHING we owned except our clothes in boxes and locked them in the basement for 6 months. Any new toys we got from family members went straight to the basement too...she never had to tell us again.
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 4:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009