I am in need of a big life change....any ideas?

My DF and I both work very hard and he makes somewhere between 35,000.00 and 40,000.00/year. (I only make about 15,000.00/year because I stay home with my son during the day) We have one son and live in a 2 bdrm apt. We just cancelled the cable and do not spend money on random things very often. Pretty much ALL of our money goes to bills and we struggle to buy groceries/gas/anything else. I feel like all I do is work my ass off and think of ways to save money but we still dont have any! We live paycheck to paycheck and make more money than alot of our friends who somehow manage to be SAHMs and buy things more often than we do. What are we doing wrong?
I have thought about working FT but this way we dont have to pay for daycare and I refuse to live off of the state.
Every time I look up ways to cut costs, I am already doing everything on the list! Should I push DH to get a better job? Should we move? Downsize? How?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 6:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• i know what you mean! i used to wonder how all my friends afforded so much, until i realized half of them coudn't REALLY afford it and they charge a lot.
    do you have a car payment or any debt. we worked hard to pay those things off and find ourselves with about $400 extra a month because of paying that off. we're also working on paying our house off, so that will free up a whole bunch of money. like you said though, just watch your spending and pay anything off you can...or live without things that aren't as important as others (like maybe one phone instead of two, or cable instead of internet, make your own cleaning products....stuff like that) hope some of that helps you, best wishes!!
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 6:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water; don't buy juice, milk, soda, etc., except as a special treat. Cook from scratch. Replace meat with beans, lentils & tofu. Cook dried beans instead of buying canned. Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta & brown rice, may cost more than simple grains, like white rice & pasta, but they are more filling & more nutritious, so they really are the better value. Frozen fruits &vegetables often cost less than fresh; they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life &holding their nutrition longer. Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries &whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies &a little bit of cheese &whole grain toast.
    Before you go to the grocery store, plan your meals &snacks for the next 8 days. Base your grocery list on your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons. Eat before you shop. Buy only what is on your list.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• cont.
    The sales at the store are not to save you money, but to get you to buy more than you need; if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next two weeks, don't buy it. If you would like some healthy and budget friendly recipes, feel free to contact me.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Do you have full time internet access? I can show you how to make an extra $1000/month. It's completely free and you don't have to sell anything. Message me if you're interested.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Get paid to get your mail out of the mailbox! Either at home or at the Post Office! No FEES!
    http://www.peoplestring.com/register/?r=cindyk1982

Get paid to do surveys! FREE STUFF FROM AMAZON and INSTANT CASH! PAID EVERYDAY!
    http://www.points2shop.com/index.php?ref=cindyk1982

Get paid to play games and do surveys! NO FEES EVER!
    http://cashcrate.com/322297

100% real, FREE and LEGIT ways to make money online. Points2Shop pays everyday also!

SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 7:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Um, what monthly bills do you have? Not trying to be rude (REALLY) But my dh only makes about 35k a year...we pay 600 for a 2br 3ba town house, and a 400 dollar car payment plus grocerys ect...we do not even get wic. We do okay. and we spend money on stuff we dont need. We could do better with our money but...........eh
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 7:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You said you had bills..what kind of bills? are they generic ones such as electricity, water, cable, ect? How much debt do you have? This is usually the place where most people are struggling in. For that level of income, you really cant afford to have any debt such as credit cards, paying off tvs, appliances, ect and no more than a small car loan. Maybe 200 a mo or so. So are you just talking about regular bills or are you paying off debt? The pp had some great ideas. We have been down to rammen noodles and koolaid before. We would drink water but we were splurging....LOL I understand what its like to live pc to pc. Many years ago, we were so in debt that no matter how much money he made, it was gone before it even got there. We have managed to get our debt down to a little on my SUV, and 2 med bills. Thats it. We are getting ready to move and so far I have cut out a gas bill and a phone bill. Downsizing! GL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You can cut back on medical bills with our discount card, it also includes a discount card for local shopping too.

The medical discount plans come with free financial wellness counseling and services. Check it out, it may be what you need,

http://content.newbenefits.com/userimages/financialhelpline.gif click the picture for more information.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If you want to earn extra money or a residual income Procard offers work from home too.

Work at home...and spend more time with your children!

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I'm not sure what other bills you have but you only need ONE phone, no internet or cable, shop @ thrift stores, do not keep pets, have a rummage sale, buy groceries at discount stores, don't leave lights or t.v. on when not needed, and walk to places instead of drive.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 6:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009