Had my 36 week check today and I have a few questions...

The doctor said I was dialated to 1 cm, did my GBS test and swabbed me for infection.

My blood pressure was really high so they waited about 20 minutes and did it again. It was still high but not as high so they said I could go home but I have to come back in Monday for another check. She said if it's still high we're going to have to discuss my options.

Since about 30 minutes after I left the doctor's office I've been having a LOT of contractions. I was in the grocery store for about 30 minutes and have 4 contractios during that time. They've continued since then.

Here are my questions:

1) What can I do to lower my blood pressure?
2) What are the "options" you have when you have high blood pressure at this point?
3) How do I know if I'm really in preterm labor?
4)If I'm in labor than can I just stay home and proceed like normal since I'm this far along or do I HAVE to go into L&D so early being at 36 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 1. REST...do not strain or do anything strenuous..

2. Options..DELIVER high blood pressure is stressful on the baby..and ur body...BAD COMBO

3. youll have regular contractions, and youll know there real because you wont be able to focus on anything else..time them..if there pretty regular like atleast 5-7 mins apart for about two hours.. then i would say LABOR

4. did you plan on delivering at home? usually and dont quote me..but if your having BP problems they try to take the easiest way and to them thats c-section..which rules out home delivery!

sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• whats your BP?
    Anonymous

• No I'm not planning a home delivery but I also didn't want to rush off to the hospital the minute I felt a contraction either. My friend just told me that when she had high blood pressure they induced her. I don't want that either but I guess it might be better than a c-section.

It was 152/94. They said that was really high. I don't know much about blood pressure but that's what they said.
    Anonymous

• normal is 120/70
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Feet up. Cut out ALL salt. Read labels, sodium is in SO many things. No salt, and very low sodium. That should at least help a little with the BP.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• When I would lay on my left side it would lower my bp some.....and yes that is high.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• They will most likely plan to induce you. If you have preeclampsia, they will discuss a c-section.

To lower you BP, do moderate walking (exercise lowers BP), take it easy (make sure hubby knows no stress allowed), no salt (food from restaurants, cans, prepackaged foods, and frozen foods are all very high in sodium).

Once your contractions are a regular 6-8 min apart, you need to go to the hospital. You don't need to wait it out at home since your BP is high. Also, with your first pregnancy, labor might not be as regular as you're expecting. I was in labor for 6 hours and thought it was Braxton Hicks. My contractions for 6 min apart, then 8, then 5, then 10, then 9. So, I thought I wasn't in labor. My dr says if you have contractions less than 10 min apart for more than an hour that that is labor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• just relax .
    also if you had your appointment today why didnt you ask your dr these questions? why did you wait to post on CM ?
    Anonymous

• 1) Relaxation can lower your BP. If it is just high because of stress then it is manageable.

2) There is meds to lower BP that can be administered at the hospital but its a nasty med so at 36 weeks they would probably just deliver you

3) is this your first baby? What you might be calling a "contraction" might not really be one. I am not questioning you but there is no way to be prepared for what a REAL contraction feels like til it happens! it is totally normal to cramp and have "contractions" after a vaginal check. You are most likely not in labor and fine

4) They will not try to stop labor at 36 weeks so there is no reason to rush in. Labor at home and go in when you feel the need to (its not really about how many or how often, to me its a matter of pain level... when you cant talk thru them anymore)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009