is it true that you only get pregnant after your period?

like doctors say that they take the first day of your last menstrual period and add on a week and that detects your due date...when do you actually conceieve?!!?

mz.tiarra89

Asked by mz.tiarra89 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its actually take the last day of your period subtract three months and add 7 days=that should equal your due date.

You ovulate about 10-14 days after your period is over.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Your period is the uterine lining washing away - if a fertilized egg was attached to it, it would be flushed out with it. About 15 days after the first day of your period (the actual day varies from woman to woman, sometimes a lot, depending on your cycle) your body releases an egg from the ovary and it begins to travel to your uterus. This is the only time you can become pregnant, it is your fertile time. That is when you conceived.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You can ovulate any time your body wants to. I've ovulated the sticky clear mucus during my periods. They count conception unknown date because they believe women don't know when we conceive and the first day of your last known period is when you became pregnant according to most doctors. There are blood tests that can determine exactly how many days pregnant some one is but that not a usual test. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I said 15 days, because that's pretty much when I ovulate... it really isn't something you can gauge on by counting days, you have to know your fertility signs. Which is why they don't go by when you think you may have conceived, but by the first day of your last period, because that is a known, and therefore more reliable date. Unless you chart your fertility, when conception happened is just a guess.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• no its nto true i got pregnant on my period and with my daughter i got pregnant before my period .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You ovulate 1.5 weeks after your period for a 3 day period...but many women have gotten pregnant on their period, so it's not all the same.
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 7:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• hmmm...
    cause my first day of my last period was Jan.21st...and my doctor said i probrably conceived around the 2nd of Feburary!?! and my due date is Oct.28th...its all kind of weird to me...haha...but some of your answers are helpful to me...really...i just wanted to know! =)
    mz.tiarra89

Answer by mz.tiarra89 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• not true...you can get pregnant before ,after, and during your period...im not sure how they get your due date/date you concieved from your last period....
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• you can concieve at ANY time... even DURING you period in some cases. Thats why they use the first day of you last menstral to calculate your due date becuase its pretty much impossible to know the exact day. With my first daughter I concived literally about 2 days after my period. Wierd right? But impossible? Obviously not lol...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Oh and my grandma got pregnant the day before her period was due. Which she knows for sure cuz gramps was out of town until that day haha.... so ya.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2009