Another "How do I get my 18 month old off the bottle?" question

I read the answers of the other question just like this, but my son WILL NOT drink out of sippy cups! The only cups I can get him to drink out of is adult cups, but he's too little to carry those around. I feel like I have no options. He'll drink out of McDonald cups, but not out of store-bought cups with straws. He won't take soft-top sippy cups, hard-top sippy cups, spill-proof cups with straws... NOTHING! Can anyone help?

MissLia

Asked by MissLia at 6:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stock up on McDonald's cups. Seriously. If that works for him, go for it. No one says a child MUST use a sippy cup. So until he masters open cups, why not?

To help him master open cups:
    Give him a little bit of water in an open, plastic cup. If he spills it, it won't stain. If he drops the cup, it won't break.
    Give him a little bit of milk or juice in one at seated meal times.
    Give him one to practice with in the tub - drinking a little bath water won't hurt him. Not even if he's peed in it. Afterall - he already has any germs that are in his pee.

If he really needs that sucking action at bedtime to calm down and relax, give him a bottle for bedtime with just water in it. That way you don't need to worry about his teeth. As long as the bottle is gone by 4 (and it will be), the ADA says it won't affect his tooth placement.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• OMG! dont let him drink peed in bathwater! That's just gross!

All the other ideas she gave were good though.
    Anonymous

• my son is a bottle addict too.. lol just a week ago i bought the nuby soft spout sippy cup. its kinda of bottle/sippy bc of the sucking required and its helped alot. he still needs a bottle at night time but during the day this nuby has helped alot... good luck and the price on these are very reasonable too
    Anonymous

• Oh I agree - it is gross to think about. But you don't always know when your child has peed in the bath. I'm just saying you don't need to frantically try to prevent your child from drinking bathwater. To keep him from drinking soapy water? Sure. To make certain he doesn't drink any pee? Don't worry about it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Take him to the store, and let him pick out a cute Sigg, or other stainless steel water bottle.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009