how do you get a 6 m old to sleep in their crib????

my sons 6 mos and has been co-sleeping with me b/c i breast feed. but now he sleeps 8-9 hours srait and my husband and i would like our bed back. but he will not sleep longer than 30min in his crib, as soon as he wakes and knows hes alone he cries until i put him in my bed! please any tips . im also worried about him crawling off the bed at night, and i know the crib is a lot safer. how can i make a transition?

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Dd slept with us till 8 wks. I started getting her to nap in the crib. She'd cry and fuss, but I let her CIO (some think it's cruel, I know). I only did that the first few times. Once she got a little more comfortable with the crib, I would let her cry for a few mins. then pick her up and rock her. We still do this now when she wakes. It takes a while, for some a matter of days and others weeks. I think it took us about 2 or 3 wks. until she was really comfortable and accepting of the crib. She still cries about being put down in there sometimes. Just keep trying. It's exhausting, but you have to make sure he stays in it. Also, when we decided to put her in the crib, we never let her nap in our arms. That got her out of the habit.
    Anonymous

• Put him into a bassinet or cradle next to your bed, or if that isn't possible then move his crib into your room next to your bed. After a couple of weeks, start having him take his naps in his crib in his room. Then after a week or so of that, move him into his room at night time as well. This is what we did with our daughter and never had a problem.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We moved my son into his crib at a year because he was falling off our bed. I would go to him when he cried at night, pick him up sometimes and put him back to sleep or just stand at the crib until he fell back to sleep. It took almost a week of this and he now finally sleeps through the night becuase of it. I have never let him cry it out, it just takes patience and lack of sleep to let him know that he is still safe at night.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 8:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ok its crazy cause my son is 5 months and he had alot of stomache issues and would sleep in his carseat cause he it felt better in an upright position now we have hhis issues figered out but he won't sleep in his crib. The second i set him in he wakes up and screams. So after doing that a few times i give in and put him in his carseat which is getting dangerous cause he's big. He sleeps great in his carseat so if anyone has any ideas on how to help me that would be great!!!
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 6:41 AM on Jun. 5, 2009