• In the Spotlight:

taking mini-cation three weeks before due date (MIL issue)

This is my third pregnancy. I am going to a different part of the state I live in. I plan on lounging by the pool, riding in a golf cart to all attractions- all attractions are smallish kind of places, not a whole lot of walking or anything (I am going to Put In Bay, near Sandusky) This place is about a 4 hour drive away. My doctor has okayed it but will also be checking me three days before we leave to make sure it's safe.

I feel i have made all necessary steps to make sure this vacation goes well, and birth free- My MIL has decided it's her business and she keeps questioning my husband- basically acting like we are total idiots. She has a way of irking me, we never ask her for help (or anyone else) but she also tries to comment on our purchasing choices (like a bigger car to fit three kids in back) . I know she cares but it is simply none of her business. But she got me wondering- how many of you would feel (cont)

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 7:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just get your doc to give you a copy of your file to keep in the car. and take that with you JUST IN CASE so you have it if you go into labor..i went to a whole different state like a week before i was due..just took my file..and everything was fine...family always feels like they can offer advice because theyre related in some way..and you should just take it..it sounds like she cares and she jus tdoesnt realize what she sounds like...maybe im wrong..but id be irked to...this isnt your first time around..and maybe ur hubby needs to tell her that next time she goes on and on about you two...youve been there done that..YOU GOT THIS!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• safe going?

I am also going with my mom, dad, brother, sister, husband and two children... so I will def not be alone out there...I guess my biggest concern is the four hour car ride...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think you'll be fine. I traveled throughout my pregnancy, and had no problems. I think that you should go! MIL can say what she wants, but ultimately, this is you, and your baby, not hers.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 7:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• if you're worried about the car ride, do a map quest search of how to get to your destination from your house, and then ask it for hospitals in route. that way you know where there are hospitals at just in case something should go wrong and you need to get to one. also take a record of your pregnancy w/you, just something w/the basics and anything another doctor would need to know in case something were to happen, your doctor should be able to give you something along these lines. find out where the closest hospital is to your hotel and mapquest that as well before you go, that way while there is anything happens you already have the directions. 4 hours really isn't that long and if something were to happen, whoever is in the car with you can always call 911 tell them where you are on the highway/interstate and get directions to the closest hospital from the operator.
    i wouldn't worry you should be fine
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Oh honey, sounds like you have everything all planned out! Things have changed so much since our moms and mom in laws were having kids, and if nothing else, there are hospitals everywhere. You go and enjoy your vacation! It sounds like the perfect way to relax before having a newborn in the house!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 7:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It really comes down to how comfortable you are possibly having your baby in a different hospital delivered by a different doctor. You don't really know that you'd be able to get back to your doctor of choice in time. Everything else doesn't really matter.
    The more information you continue to give your MIL, the more she'll continue to be like she is. She can't control her mouth, but you can control what she knows.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't personally be very comfortable doing a four hour car ride that far into pregnancy. Four hour rides aren't all that comfortable even WITHOUT pregnancy!

I'd map out where every medical facility along the way is...just to be safe.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• you'll probably be fine. but just in case, get a map and mark the local hospital on it so everyone knows where it is. also when you map out your route there, mapquest gas stations along the way for frequent potty breaks and leg stretching. your should try to get up and stretch every two hours. I know I have to pee much more than that in my third trimester.
    As far as your MIL, tell her only what she needs to know after she needs to know it. when she really gets going just smile and say" it's under control" and just repeat that or something similar until she gets the picture. I have to do that to my own mother on a regular basis.
    have fun on you mini-cation!
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 7:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Id go and have a blast! I agree take a copy of your file which you can get from your doctor a few days before you go when your seeing him/her anyway!
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Great ideas ladies! I hadn't considered checking for hospitals nearby, now we have a GPS which will get us there but I am still going to research so I know how long it will take to get to one. I also hadn't thought about getting my file copy just in case...

You also have given me some great advice about MIL, I know she thinks she is being a concerned parent/ future grandparent, and doesn't realize she comes across as a great big know it all..lol..

With two little girls in the car my bladder is the least of my worries, but we are taking major highways almost all the way there so it should be easy to find a rest area.

Thank you so much, I feel a whole lot better!
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009