am i doing this all wrong?

is it okay to put my son in a time out if he doesn't eat his veggies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wouldn't i would just take away any other options for him to eat. put just the veggies on his plate and after he's done with those he can have whatever else it is. for me the whole eating/punishment thing just doesn't jibe well. everyone i know who's parents did stuff like that is now overweight and/or have some sort of eating issues. be it they won't eat certain things, they eat too much or whatever their problems may be.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Don't ever punish or reward around food. That turns food into an emotional item and that's where alot of adults have ended up having issues.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy. You shouldnt punish over food. It causes issues down the road. Just offer the veggies first and differently every time. Make sure he eats at least a couple bites then give him something else he likes. Once he does well with a couple off bites, move it up to three, then four, and so forth.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would never punish a child regarding food. During the toddler years, food aversions can come and go. If your child isn't eating veggies right now, try "slipping" the veggies to them in ways they don't expect. V-8 V-fusion tastes like fruit juice, but every 8 oz glass has a full serving (ADULT serving) of veggies in it. Flat Earth chips have some very yummy chips that contain veggies - 6 chips equals half an adult serving of veggies ... and they come in a variety of flavors (my son LOVES the tangy tomato-ranch and Farmland Cheddar flavors). Plus, according to my Pedi, if they're getting fruits and the fruits contain most of the nutrients that the missing veggies have ... don't worry about too much it. Making food a BATTLE will prevent the child from trying new things as they grow older. It takes about 10 "tries" before a toddler likes a new food.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree with all the answers that have been given. What worked for us is to offer his veggies with his food, if he doesn't eat them, I leave them out with some ranch dressing, and I won't let him have a snack of say, goldfish crackers until his veggies are gone and if he truly doesn't like a food, he doesn't have to eat it
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 7:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• we have a 4 bite rule. and have ever since my son was old enough to comprehend choice and consequence about 2. He gets about 4 bites of everything on his plate. such as 4 bites of macaroni 4 bites of chicken and 4 bites of peas and 4 bites of carrots. After the plate is clean he can have seconds of what ever he wants. I have also started buying the juicy juice harvest surprise. A glass of that had a whole serving of fruit and half a serving of veggies. I don't rely on it, my son actually eats fairly well but it makes me feel better about my juice choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If I know he really truly doesn't like something he only has to take a 'no thank you' bite.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• no dont punish over something like that. some youngens just dont like their veggies! just keep trying to offer the veggies. try making them differently or hide them in something he likes.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't. It just makes food a battleground. We offer something from every food group every meal, and right now (15 months) she can eat what she wants of what is offered. She ususally does pretty well eating some of everything, but if she doesn't I refuse to stress about it. A balanced diet isn't imperative at every meal, just over the long haul.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think its a bad idea to punish a child over food..i also don't agree with giving food as a reward. You dont want to focus to much on the food, that will only make it worse. Offer different veggies and its really not that big of a deal if they don't eat them all the time..just keep offering them and don't offer other types of foods (like snack foods) instead of the veggies.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:31 AM on Jun. 5, 2009