inappropriate?

so the kids are 4 (boy) and 7 (girl). Is it okay to walk around the house in just a bra and panties. I think it's fine but my husband thinks it's inappropriate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• i mean if only for a minute to grab some clothes but just wearing a bra and panties all day around your kids is just weird
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I guess you don't live in Florida because people walk around half naked in public. My ds is 12 and he has always seen me and dh naked. It's been a natural thing for us. I recently stopped because I was feeling a little uncomfortable but my ds could care less.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't mind if my girls (4 and 6) see me getting dressed or whatnot,because seeing me comfy in my body will help them to do the same later- but I feel there is a place for that kind of dress and it is not in the kitchen. (now after the kidlets are in bed the living room is fair game- but my kids never get out of bed) I would not just wander around like that in front of my kids all the time... I would not be comfortable with it and as they get older they may not be either...

Also I am having a hard enough time teaching them to close the bathroom door to go potty, imagine how hard it would be teaching them to stay dressed in public, if their mommy won't get dressed at home.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree with tnm. If you are just going from bath to bedroom, probably no big deal (after all, they see you in a swimsuit, right?). I would just make sure you aren't wearing anything too sheer or revealing. It is also something you might want to consider stopping in the near future. Our local YMCA allows children ages 6 & under to dress with their opposit sex parent so I used the same guideline. Once my kids turned 6, DH stopped changing in front of the girls & I stopped changing in front of the boys.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i lived in florida for 22 years actually and i still dont agree
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• thats always up to you...i think when your open with yourself, you teach your kids NOT to be ashamed...be careful though, that could very well backfire and teach them to show everyone their goodys!!! but really..if you teach them that thier bodys are okay and how to act appropriately..i dont see a problem
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Kind of a fine line. I definitely wouldn't go around naked in front of a boy that age, but bra and panties are probably okay. Then again it depends on what kind of bra and panties you wear. Are they any more revealing than a swimsuit you would wear? If it was very sexy lingerie I wouldn't , but good ole mommy panties and undies are fine. I don't think it's inappropriate in front of your daughter at all. Though I wouldn't wander around all day like that just because, you can...lol from room to room seems fine or waiting for clothes out of the dryer etc.

My dad would make his run from the bathroom to his bedroom to get dressed in his underwear my whole childhood. I never even thought anything about it.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I don't think it's inappropriate, especially if they are no more revealing than a bikini. Then again, I shower with my son (who is only 2 1/2) to make sure he's not getting into the coffee beans, the catnip, climbing the counters, starting the washer etc.

I would sit down and discuss with your hubby why he feels it is inappropriate and why you think it's not and find a solution that satisfies both of you.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Bra and panties would cover more than a bikini
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Well, I walk around with less than that. I don't think I'm doing damage. My child still showers with me and occassionally I will hop into his tub and we play while he bathes. It depends on your comfort level. If you believe that there is nothing wrong and send the message that it is normal then it will be. If your children get a message from you or from dad that it is not okay then they will think it is not normal and be uncomfortable. It is all in how you frame it for them. But both husband and wife need to be on the same page.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009