5 month old hates taking naps

My 5 month old son takes very small naps during the day (15-30min.) and wakes up 3-4 times at night. What can I do to get him to take longer naps during the day? Also I have tried the "crying it out" method and he has thrown a fit for half an hour straight and then fell asleep so it doesn't work too great with him.

Natashaheart

Asked by Natashaheart at 7:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ive tried taking my son out into daylight in the stroller to get hiim used to sun=awake..and no sun=bed time....its working pretty well hes out by 10 up after 7
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Some babies just don't like taking naps and some babies can't sleep through the night until they're much older than 5 months. I had a baby who started sleeping through (6 hours at a stretch) EXTREMELY early (3 weeks, not kidding) but who has gone through cycles of napping and not napping. He's a founder of the "Naps are for Sissies" club. He's 2 1/2 and has not consistently taken a nap during the day since I stopped nursing him at 15 1/2 months. In fact, he's more often than not refused to nap for most of the last year. One culprit at about his age is growth spurts causing him to need to eat more often. Also, make sure he's just overall getting enough to eat. If he's formula fed, try offering him MORE instead of what your Pedi says is the "correct" amount. If he's nursing, try making sure he is coming off on his own. Also, try getting a good bedtime routine in order (like bath, food, rock to sleep). Good luck!
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't do crying it out, I think a lot of babies go through a time like this... mine sure did. The best thing that helped them was putting them in the wrap while they napped. Sometimes they may feel uncomfortable because of teething, or they need that skin to skin contact... whatever the reason is, it doesn't last forever.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• oh... yes, don't expect babies ot sleep through the night, it really isn't common, and if a baby does do that, usually they do wake up slightly and go back to sleep easily, but like I said thats not in most cases.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Try ready the No CRY Nap Solution and No CRY Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. They are very useful. And give you so many ideas. Also sleeping through the night for this age is only a stretch of 5-6 hours and only some babies can manage more. It is a biological maturity (ie time) that is required before this can change. A good nap routine is important as is a bed time routine. My dd is 3 months and naps on me in her sling during the day and at night sleeps in her bassinett for 10-11 hoiurs. I put it down to her nightime routine which relaxes her so much that she knows its time for a big sleep. Also be careful at night when they wake to not stimulate them too much. If he is hungry then feed but dont turn on lights or play. Try to gently teach them that night is for sleep and day for plan. Those books are fantastic though as if www.askdrsears.com and www.picknicksbrain.com. Good luck!
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Its not that he hates the naps, its just that he cant make it through the sleep cycles and then gets overtired and the problem is worse and worse. Have you tried rocking him or putting him in a sling. Babies have to be taught that sleep is safe and happy and be totally comfortable
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2009