Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for anyone that knows specificis about immigration/deportation process


My friend is from Guatemala. He moved here when he was only 15. Now at almost 21 he is tired of living illegally. He doesn't know what to do though because his parents didn't take the steps to get the family green cards when they first moved here.

He can here on a visitors visa and has now overstayed it by about 3 years. He's desperate to find a way to legally get his status changed.

I don't know much about this stuff. He will be talking to a lawyer soon but doesn't have much money to retain one unless there's a sure shot he can get a status change.

Does anyone know his options? If any?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • I married my best friend from Honduras to get him legel, Lol.
    we had to get an immagration attny and it actually didnt cost that much, however you can sponcer his status, and if he can prove he has lived here since 16 and moved because his family moved him as a minor it would be easer, did he go to high school here?

    Answer by judith_visco at 8:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • Tell him to marry someone. I know a few people that do this.

    Answer by MammaBella at 8:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • Ladies, let's not suggest illegal acts. The immigration lawyers are not that expensive and they know their stuff. He'll be fine. Just wait and the lawyer will sort it all out and I bet it won't cost as much as he thinks it will.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • They might ask him to go back to his country. Im not 100% sure..every case is different. I wish him luck though!

    Answer by youngmm at 9:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • At my husbands first appointment, he was told that they had every right to deported him right then and there as punishment for living here illegally. There is also a punishment for them not being able to apply or re-enter for a period of time since it is illegal to live and work here without approval.

    Our marriage is not what saved him either. Talk to a lawyer and maybe check out this group right here on cafemom...

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.