How do I get my 4mon old breastfed son to sleep through the night?

mamasluv707

Asked by mamasluv707 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can't make someone sleep through the night and I personally wouldn't try. Its rare for a baby to sleep through the night, and its actually a good thing to wake up at night. Look it up on www.mothering.com there was a wonderful article on why its good that babies wake up at night. If its causing you to loose sleep, consider co-sleeping. My babies sleep better when they are skin to skin with me and I can actually sleep while they are nursing.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• A BF baby should always wake up at least once during the night to feed. Co-sleeping is a very easy way to keep the both of you happy and rested.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am with precious, most babies dont sleep throught the night at this age, bottle or breast fed, however, breast fed babies can not go as long in between feedings. Mom you will sleep through the night soon enough...LOL, my youngest is 7 and I still dont sleep through the night, welcome to motherhood LOL:)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree that at 4 months old it is unrealistic for an infant to sleep through the night. As mothers, we NEED to get "should" out of our vocabulary. I BF'ed my son and he DID sleep "through the night" (6 hours at a stretch) fairly early ... but he was sleeping 4 to 5 hours at a stretch as a NEWBORN, literally before he was a WEEK old. In fact, until I let him sleep he wasn't gaining weight because he was too TIRED to eat until he was full. He nursed almost non-stop during the day, but he "slept through" VERY early.

Now ... this means he didn't EVER take good naps unless I was lying down with him and he could wake up, latch on to nurse again and then go back to sleep. So as soon as he was weaned at 15 1/2 months old ... he stopped napping on a regular basis.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Oh ... and clarification ... he slept in his crib every night from the first night home from Hospital. The only time we co-slept was for naps.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• He will when he's ready... for my son, he's STILL not ready I guess. Nearly 11 months and still gets up to eat. We have tried EVERYTHING (co-sleeping, cry it out, formula, water, extra milk after breastfeeding, extra solids before bed, to name a few that haven't worked at all)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I agree. 4 months is beyond unrealistic to expect a baby to sleep through the night :) And also realize "sleeping through the night" is considered 1 5-6 hour stretch.

You can try The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley, she's got great resources for you to try.
    But, don't expect much. Your baby is still so new.

Also, it definitely varies by temperment. My friend has a 15 month old boy who is so easy going he will sleep anywhere at any time, lol. My DD? she is 2 and completely opposite, she is still not sleeping through the night.

But at 4 months old, neither of those technically apply because newborns aren't designed to sleep all night.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• my son is about to be six mos in 2 days he is ebf and sleeps 8-9 hrs strait. but since birth he was eating every 2-3 hours even at night. when he was 5mos he started waking every 30min-1hr at night,eating only about5 mins. my doctor told me it was probably for comfort not food, so at 5 half mos we tried the cry it out method. it hurt but he would only cry about ten min(and i would try giving him a passy and patting him on the back) i would try to make him wait about 3 hours then feed him at night. i only had to do this for 3 nights, the 4th night he sleep 6hrs and hes now up to 8 or 9 hrs strait, so i guess he was just wanting me to nurse him back to sleep. but with a 4 mt old i would think they probably still need the food at night. stay strong it wont be much longer and you my get a good night sleep! good luck.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My bf'd kid is 13 wks. and she has never slept for more than 4 hrs. at a time. I don't worry about it and choose not to obsess over getting her to. I figure she will when she's ready. It is annoying though to hear people claim their babies slept through the night at 5 wks. or some absurd age. I hate that! Plus, it's the first question everyone asks "is she sleeping through the night?" I hate that question! She only wakes twice a night, so I consider myself lucky. Some ppl. can't even get that much. I've heard of toddlers who wake up that much still. We co-slept till she was 8 wks. but I never got very good sleep b/c she's so noisy.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009