Do you think it's right before someone can volunteer in a church youth group,you have to give 2 references?

I understand they don't want any sex offenders to apply but I think if someone wants to help out in their church,they should be allowed to without references.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 7:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• I agree... anyone working in a youth group should have full background check and should have atleast two people say "yea I'd trust them with my kids".
    I remember the case of the little girl murdered by a sunday school teacher... so very sad that our kids aren't safe anywhere, neither are we I guess but I'd like to think that in the house of the Lord, my kids would be safe but I'd not send them with anyone that I wasn't sure I could trust. Too many churches have been in a lot of trouble in the last several years with sex/pornography and even murder.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think they should require a background check.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• When it comes to children, I would even go so far as a back ground check these days. If its just general volunteering, like cleaning or helping with a project, then no but with kids...you really cant be to cautious these days.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• There as a little girl raped and murdered by a Sunday School worker not long ago...her name was Sandra Cantu. You can't trust anyone these days...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• wow if you can't have God as your reference then who can you ask?

Answer by admckenzie at 9:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• A reference is more about someone's work performance not about them really?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 9:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Churches are having to be more and more careful about this. My own church recently adopted a policy whereby anyone who works with children under the age of 18 has to have a background check. In the county where I live, in a church restroom on a Sunday morning while church was going on, a young boy was raped by an older man. Churches simply cannot risk that kind of liability and so they are having to be as careful as they can be. It is unfortunate that the majority of people who have nothing in their backgrounds have to be subjected to the same rigors as those who do. But if one has nothing to hide, I suppose it doesn't make any difference.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My church requires that you attend for 6 months and they do a background check on all who work with children. My previous church required that you be a member for 6 months, fill at an application, and give character references. It is MUCH safer for the children and it is better for the church. If they had a predator working and didn't do anything to try and prevent that they would be sued and probably have to close their doors. As a parent I like to know that all workers are screened!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009