what is a good schedule for a 3 year old going on 4?

my son in august will be going into prek and i want to get him on a schedule so he is read when school start

kim61629

Asked by kim61629 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well depending what time is class will begin in the morning and when he'll have to get up for "school" start putting him to bed accordingly and get him up about that time every morning...now if its like 6am for school that might not be logical for summer, but earlier enough that he can have a morning snack, most schools do it around 9:30-10:00 then Lunch around noon and nap from 1-3 if its all day pre-school, then an afternoon snack after nap. Sticking to what his school schedule will be like or the same basic idea will help greatly. I hope he enjoys it my son started pre-school in January and LOVES it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• by preschool i meant pre-k I realize they're different in most places but the day set-up tends to be about the same
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Routines are really a stabilizing and balancing factor in little guys lives. As a substitute teacher, I've seen these kids know exactly at what point I've changed their daily schedule, even in the least. :) They are funny that way. :)

Remember that this age child is still needing 12 hours of good restful solid sleep at nite. Their brains and bodies need this rest to repair and balance. Depending on what time he needs to leave the house in the morning, I would decide his wake time. Be sure and give him plenty of time to freshen up, and have time to visit with mom and dad before leaving home.

Remember, too, that his little body is growing fast so be sure he gets a perfect breakfast for it to grow on. Sugar foods will spike his insulin and then make it drop so I would prob. leave off pancakes, cereals, jelly, juices. This summer teach him a good habit of eating protein, fruit(fresh or cooked), a piece of bread...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ...and always, plenty of water to drink. These foods will help his body build well and the brain cells develop normally. Schools serve snacks (which is actually unhealthy, simply b/c it usually is something with sugar or just a carb, which makes their blood sugar rise, as well as fills their tummy just a couple of hours before they are offered lunch. And we know that kids won't eat the good food thats offered at lunch if their tummies aren't empty and hungry.)

Be sure and take him out to play to have a brisk walk with the family or to play at the playground every day around 10ish. This allows the energy that is built into the human body to be used, and also helps his brain to focus later on learning. When children have energy that isn't used, it often is used up by crying, or negative behaviors. Help him to be his best. :)

Lastly, serve good lunches and dinners of protein, veg., fruit, bread and water to drink.....
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:15 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ..and then have a regular routine at bedtime. I would begin his nite time routine around 6 with a nice warm relaxing bathtime, then a book and music that is slow moving. You can begin to keep the lights down lower in the house so that it signals the brain that rest is coming.

After a busy day of good food, good exercise and a perfect routine, your little guy will be so easy to teach and easier for him to learn than his classmates. Try these things and you'll find that the teacher will ask you how he learned to be so nice. :) I promise.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2009