embarrassed..

i want to start running in my neighborhood.. but im kind of embarrassed. i don't want people staring at me especially because i feel self conscious about my weight. anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• yes..drive somewhere else and walk/run?? good luck
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I know that feeling but in all honestly who cares. Stop making excuses because that's all it is--an excuse you tell yourself to get out of working out! It took me many years to get to that conclusion! If you feel so self-concious then run with a dog or start by walking and just bring an mp3 and don't worry about what everyone else is thinking.
    Anonymous

• u need to find some one to run with! you would feel better!
    youngmomiof3

Answer by youngmomiof3 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If you have alot of weight to lose, I'd begin by brisk walking. Esp. if you aren't used to regular exercise, b/c remember that running is very jolting, not only to knees, but also to your spine. Running isn't bad, it just isn't the best form of exercise.

I would begin by building up brisk walking 1mile in 14 min. When you are able to accomplish this easily, then train to run by doing walk/run sprints. Making your heart rate jump in intervals has been proven to be more effective and have longer lasting results during the day, than just out and out running, which can cause shin splints, weak ankles, and jarring the spine.

I have some neighbors that are in their early 70's who have been running most of their lives. They now have so many spine problems that they can barely walk and I'm not seeing them anymore. They were even walking up until about a year ago but all bent over. It isn't the healthiest form of exercise.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I use to feel that way too, but then I realized when I see someone out running/walking that has a little bit of junk in the trunk I secretly applaud them. They are trying to change their lifestyles and I think it's great!!
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 1:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If you run early in the morning, then you won't have this issue.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Running before 6:30 solves this issue for me. When I do run later, I make sure I have my mp3 player with me!
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 3:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2009