Do you have to cook apples to make applesauce for babies?

I haven't. I just put it in the food processor with some water and bam, applesauce. Is there some safety reason that I should cook them first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby is younger than about 8 or 9mos. then it would be a good idea to cook the apples first. For babies younger than that, it can be hard for them to digest uncooked apples. I usually just buy a big jar of unsweetened applesauce and baby can share that w/ the big kids.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Ok cool. I was worried. She is above that age group. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• Peel them and slice them and then steam them until soft and then throw them into the food processor.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I made all my daughters food until she started eating regular table food. I would peel the apples and pop them in the microwave, covered in seran wrap, cook for a few minutes until soft and zap in the food processor. Pears are awesome as a sauce too!! And depending how old your child is you can make the sauce chunkier so they get use to 'chewing' or 'gumming.'
    I personally thing homemade apple sauce is so much better then store bought.
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 1:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2009