painting help!!

i asked this earlier but no one answered who painted over their panel so im asking again. ive painted over my panel. well just primed it but someone told me i had to sand it before i primed it but its to late now. has anyone just painted over panel and its fine? or did i make a big mistake??

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 9:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• honestly idk. i think my SM did when i was younger and i dont remember her sanding it at all. you could try and call a painting store for advie and see what they say. they would know best. good luck~!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 9:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• some said yes some said no. so i want to know someone who did it and how it turned out. lol
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 9:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• You didnt make a big mistake but it is a little mistake.You have to sand the panels a little. The reason is that the panels have a finish on them to give them thier sheen. And when you sand it gives little grooves for the primer to adhere to. Alot of primers or paints will not stick to a somewhat shiney surface so that is why you have to sand. Not alot just scuff up the surface a little and make sure you wipe all the dust off. Primer will not stick to dust. Try a stain blocking primer it will help hide the darker colors.
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 10:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Your paneling prob. has varnish on it which means the paint won't stick well. You may have to find a primer that lets you paint over the varnish without sanding. Call Home Depot or a paint center to ask if they have something you can use without sanding. Sanding all the small crevices on paneling would be more than I would be willing to do.

Once you get the primer on (which will probably be the brand Kilz), then I would be sure and use water based paint, so that you can paint over this in the future. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If you were to start over, I'd definitely recommend lightly sanding first, but if the primer is sticking well, you're probably OK. If you scratch the primer with a fingernail, does it come off? If no, put a piece of blue masking tape on the paint, press it down well, then leave it a day and rip it off quickly. if the paint stays, you should be OK adding your colored paint. If the blue masking tape rips off primer, you need to do some fairly thorough sanding with a 200-300 grit sandpaper before re-priming and painting.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2009