Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

food stamp question??

I can't call my worker because it's after hours and even if I did he's horrible about calling back...but here goes the question:

I lost my job April 10 and applied for food stamps April 14. My application didn't get approved until mid-May, 4 weeks later, by which time I'd already started a new job. I didn't get paid until the end of May. So we barely had any income in April, and barely any (my husband's) in May until I got paid May 29. Do you think or know if we are entitled to the benefits for the month of May at all? We didn't even get our card until like one of the last days of May. We likely won't be approved for the next 3 months or however they do it, I just don't want to use the May ones if I think we're going to have to pay it back.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • Food Stamps are a State run program. You'd have to say what state you live in for someone to know the answer to your question. Your state should have a web site that you can review for info like this though.

    Answer by beckcorc at 9:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • CA. Thank you, I will look there. I think it's an iffy subject because of when I got paid. We were broke until May 29.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • if you have any income you have to tel them and if it is to much to qualify then no you dont get anything

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • If your caseworker won't call you, see if your state has a general information phone number & find someone else who can help you.

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

  • The usual rules in most states are that you have to report your change in income within 10 days. You can find your state's food stamp rules and regulations on the internet to find out what the law states for you. I would report the new job immediately and either have HR type you out a letter stating what date you began working, how much your hourly wage is, how many hours per week you are expected to work, and when your first paycheck will be. It has to be signed by the HR manager and dated and include your name - it should also be on the company's letterhead. You can take that to your caseworker and they may wish to see your first paycheck as proof when you receive it.
    They should let you have the whole month's worth of food stamps if they already administered the whole month to you.
    Depending on your pay, you may still qualify for a smaller amount of food stamps.
    Best wishes and congrats on your new job!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.