Does anyone have a low weigh % baby & what did you do?

2 Weeks ago at my dd 4 mo checkup she had only gained 1.5lbs since 2mos old. She nurses on demand and has been eating pretty good no latch probs & such. However they prescribed Zantac which I give her twice a day to help with the spitting up. They had me go back for a 2 wk f/up and she lost 2 oz??? I was so upset at this point, the stupid NP was like oh you poor hungry baby. They want me to give her 1-2 oz of high cal preemie formula after her feedings, I have been doing it and giving her rice cereal too. Her dad is thin, and he was long/skinny (like her) as a baby. I am just wondering if anyone out there has a similar prob? She is 3% in her weight and 90% height and they have me freaking out... dev issues if she doesn't start really gaining weight. If she doesn't gain a decent amount by next check up monday they want her to get a full workup. Any sim situations please reply. Thank you!

goodluck

Asked by goodluck at 9:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, stop giving the rice cereal, that can interfere with weight gain. The supplemental formula can cause your supply to decrease as well. How many times in 24 hours is she nursing? You should be able to increase her weight gain by adding a few nursing sessions. Check out How might I increase baby's weight gain? for some really good information!!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• First of all, there is more calories in formula or breastmilk than in rich cereal so stop the cereal, it is totally unnecassary at 4 months. secondly, the percentile on the chart means NOTHING but the fact that they want to see her stay on the same growth line. What percentile was she in at 2 mo?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Well my daughter is now 22 years old and only weighed 5lbs at birth and was a 44.5 week pregnancy. At 2 months she only gained 6oz, and at 4 months only weighed 7lbs. I was lucky because the doctor she was going to at the time was from East India and did not agree with traditional methods of feeding. Put my daughter on a high protein baby boost and goats milk, she flourished. Good Luck
    momof2nanaof1

Answer by momof2nanaof1 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My daughter was boen at 8.3, and was only 10.2 at 6 months. I refused to supplument like they wanted. Now she is 17 months and 22 lbs. She eats all the time, and is generally just a tiny thing. Don't worry mama some babies are just small. If she isn't hungry then don't worry about it. Doctors know very little about breastfed babies.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My twins were premie. We did both high calorie formula and breast milk. It in no way hurt them. We didn't do rice cereal. Please the doctors are medical professionals. Let them do their job.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• PLEASE don't stop the cereal without consulting with your medical professional first. He/she has you giving it to her for a reason.

My daughter is below the 5th percentile for weight (as of her last check up). She has her one year well-baby check up next week, so we'll see how much weight she has lost/gained.

I don't think it has anything to do with your baby being breastfed. My daughter is fully formula-fed.

It's a doctor's job to be concerned...sometimes they can be a little TOO concerned...don't freak out just yet.

Good luck! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I happen to agree with Fallaya....even though you say that docs don't know about BF babies, they still know about babies.Which is why theyre docs and Youre not...or are you? anyway, OP like they said some babies are just small and long. My best friend has 3 kids ALL in the 5th % for weight and 95% for height...they are very tall. everyone is different. It's genetics. Just don't disregard everything your pedi is saying. They say things for a reason.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My daughters a low % for weight and I was told that as long as shes eating and not sick not to worry about it.
    Navy_Wife08

Answer by Navy_Wife08 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• She was 16% at 2 mos.
    goodluck

Answer by goodluck at 9:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Have you charted her growth on the WHO growth charts based on breastfed babies. I have to disagree that doctors always know best. I had one pedi that wanted to do exploratory surgery on my youngest because she can't gain weight properly and when I switched to a new doc they could not believe what the other doc put us through. Both of my BF babies fell off the growth chart around 4-6 months old but charted on the WHO growth chart follwed a perfect growth trajectory. BF and FF babies grow differently in the first year, with BF babies usually much leaner than FF babies. I have a lot of links, WHO growth charts, med journal articles, etc., pm me if you are interested.
    mnmsmom2008

Answer by mnmsmom2008 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009