Evening Primrose Oil question (tmi)

I am fixing to be induced in 2 weeks if I dont go into labor on my own (yes I know I can refuse, but for now I am just hoping to not have to go through that battle, but we will see when it gets closer to the date) And my Dr and my doula suggested using evening primrose oil to soften my cervix so my horribly painful very regular braxton hicks contractions might actually turn into real labor. My question is, how do I do this vaginally, they said to rub the oil on my cervix...now that I am thinking about it (and my doula is at another birth and I dont want to bug her to death) how do I do that without it rubbing off before it reaches my cervix. I thought about poking holes in the gel caps and then inserting it, but will the gel cap disolve or will I have to fish it out in the morning? Gross Iknow, but seriously I am confused and lost as to how to do this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I inserted the gel tabs in my vaginal and let them disolve on their own. The gel part would just fall out and did not need to be "fished out in the morning" like another poster said. I was scheduled for an induction and although I didnt go into labor, I went from 30 to 80 percent effaced in three days. I inserted two tabs in my cervix (actually IN my cervix because i was 5 cm dilated already and was able to get them in there) every 12 hours. My friend had a baby this morning and I had suggested evening primrose to her & at that point she was only 1 cm dilated (38 weeks) and 50 percent effaced. After 2 doses (and she only did 1 tab each time) she was having regular contractions and she opted to do a 3rd dose while contracting and 3 hours later she was in the hospital with an epidural! As for rubbing it on your cervix... the best way I could tell you to do that would be to poke a hole in the tab & squeeze it in your cervix
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My husband actually helped me out with this.... he emptied a TON of the gel caps into a bowl and then well... did the best he could to rub it on my cervix... sorry if TMI... didn't work for us but it might for you. It obvisouly does for some people or people wouldn't suggest it.... And I have heard of peoplle just inserting the gel caps. Don't know about the "fishing it out in the morning" thing though lol sorry... Good luck
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Fixing? ok.

Don't do it. You'll go into labor on your own. Better to do that than to do something that won't work and will save you embarrassment.
    Anonymous