What does it mean when someone says they are fixing to do something?

I don't understand this...I've never heard anyone say that before. Doesn't sound like they are fixing anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It usually means "I'm going to do ______." It's an old-school southern slang term. I don't use it (I'm from NC) but a lot of the older people in my family do.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It means they are "funna" do something. LOL! No, i'm kidding. It means they are going to do something. LOL
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• They are about to do something.

Like, "I am fixing to do my hair".

Translation:
    "I am about to get my butt off the couch and dust off the cheesepuffs from my shirt and go blow dry my hair and curl it so I can look beautiful on our date, honey."
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Why don't they just say they are going to do that, instead of adding extra confusing words though?
    Anonymous

• Substitute the word "about" for "fixing." It's a common expression in the South. To reword the sentence and mean the same thing, simply say, "I'm about to do something."
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Different people talk different ways in different areas. Kinda like a different language almost...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• im gonna answer your second question...cause ppl in the south know what it means.

when you grow up using it, your family uses it, your friends use it, its not confusing. its just the slang of the area.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• lol...bluelady27 I like your translation of the phrase...that was funny
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 9:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• LOL i hear that all the time where I live. first time I heard it I was like huh? that and "do what?" first time I heard that, I responded, "I didnt say to do anything". anyways, "fixin to" means "i'm about to....." or "i'm going to...."
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I am with okmanders. I grew up in Texas and that is just how they speak.

My personal favorite is the new meaning to the word "drug".

"Honey, why is there a hole in the trash bag?"
    "Because I drug it to the trashcan."

Translation:
    "Because my arm hurts to carry it all the way from the kitchen to the dumpster. If you would just dump the spoiled milk out before putting the jug in the trash it wouldn't be so darn heavy every time you opened a new gallon even though we had that one behind your nasty leftover meatloaf from last Thursday. Come on, Woman!"
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009