112 popes?

where did this idea come from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Never heard of it.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• It comes from a saint's prophecy regarding the Catholic popes. It's been quite a long time since I have read anything about it. But the current pope is the 265th pope, so I really don't understand the meaning of those prophecies.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Nostradamus?
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I never heard of it but I have heard that his is to be the last pope before the Ant-christ takes power.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There's a story that a Catholic saint (St. Malachy) supposedly received a visition in 1139 that included a long list of popes that were to rule from then until the end of time 112 popes I guess). Instead of giving each pope's name there was some catch phrase to describe the popes. Now this supposed prophacy was hidden and didn't actually appear until something like 400 years later. Many scholars think it's a hoax attributed to a school of Jesuits in the 1600s.  For more information : "Prophecy of St. Malachy"

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009