Should a child know their father owns a gun?

My fianace owns about three guns and he keeps them lock in a safety, though I believe they are loaded. I disagree about showing our child the guns and I do not want him to see them until or know about them until he is a teenager. My fianance believes a child should know what a gun looks like so they know never to touch touch or go near it. I believe that a child will get curious and want to touch it if they know about it. Who is right in this situation? Please help!
By the way, my fianace is extremely stubborn and he is obessed with his gun collection, so getting rid of them is not an option at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• kids will always be curious... I do not agree a child should know about guns

Anonymous

• i dont think child needs to know if their kept up in a safe place.. theirs not need to expose a child to that kind of thing.. i am against, guns and anything to do with them.. so i dont know..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• If the guns are in a safe, and are properly locked up, then there shouldn't be an issue. I live in a family who does a lot of hunting. I remember my dad cleaning his guns on the kitchen table, LOL. But we were NEVER allowed to touch them. I actually didn't even know where they were stored and, to this day, don't know the code to the safe. The only time they are ever loaded, and should be ever loaded, is when we're in the field hunting. They are NEVER loaded at home. If you suggest your fiance do anything, I would say to keep them unloaded and keep the shells away from the reach of children. Gun safety is very important to learn and respect.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• my dad always had guns and kept them locked in our house in a gun cabinet...we were taught that they were used for killing- animals, not people. then when i watched an episode of 90210 when i was like 9, davids bestfriend shot himself playing with a gun...that was enough to not ever want to get curious. i was petrified of them. and always have been. i think you should subject your children to the consequences, by letting them watch a special on it. thats kind of how i learned the gun lesson and even the std lesson. lol. my mom made me watch a movie on clamydia when i was like 10. but seriously, my dad moved his guns from our house when we became teenagers, bc he was worried of the temptation our friends would have. its really not the gun, its the person operating it...as with most things. but i would definitely tell the fiance you want them locked up.
    Anonymous

• All children..Yes ALL...should be taught gun safety, but most importantly if they are in the home. Accidents happen when a child comes across a weapon they didn't know was in the house, this peaks thier curiosity so what do they do...start checking it out, but they have never been taught any lessons on guns and the damage they can do, sure they might come across something on tv and they are told over and over again how dangerous they are, but they never fully comprehend it unless they are taught and shown by a responsible adult.

The reason I believe all should be taught is this, even if you are anti-gun and don't own any of your own, can you guarentee that your neighbors don't?
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would far rather teach them proper gun safety than risk them accidentally finding the gun and hurting themselves or some one else. Don't assume he won't find them, prevention and teaching are really important
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I have to agree with your fiance to an extent. My father taught me to use a gun as a child. This taught me great respect for guns, how to use them properly, and the importance of gun safety. I would never have dreamed of playing with one or touching it without permission. Although, I have to say I don't think it's a good idea to keep them loaded. Maybe you can compromise on that point?
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Yes, I believe they should know. My dad had a gun when I was a child. I didn't know it was real because my parents always told me guns was bad so I just thought they didn't have a real one. I thought it was just a toy. About took my head off playing with it.
    Anonymous

• I agree that all children should be taught gun safety. I grew up with guns. I shot my first one at the age of five. By 12 (it was probably earlier but definitely by 12), I knew how to load, clean and shoot them by myself. We have guns in our home. DH has already shown our boys how they work and take them apart (they are only 1 and 2) by work I mean yes, pulling the trigger but not with bullets in it. We do this because they will be and are curious. Our guns are locked up separately from the ammo and the lock boxes are kept in separate places. We are not going to keep them a secret that only causes more curiosity. When my boys turn 5 they will receive BB guns from their grandparents for their birthday.
    Anonymous

• I would say keep the guns locked up, but you MUST educate your children as well. They should not only understand how to shoot them, how to tell if the safety is on, how to hold them when they are around people. They should actually see what happens when they are shot, at least by shooting bottles and targets, but even by seeing someone hunting, so they know it means life and death.
    That's like saying I have knives in my house but i'm going to keep them on the top shelf, not show my children what they do or how they hurt someone, just tell them to not touch them and expect them to understand and obey- it won't happen.
    Maybe not your first choice, but make the best of it and think of it as a bonding experience for your fiancee and children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2009