Value of money

How can one show thier kids the value of money? I have tried everything with my kids who are 12 and 15 but they do not seem to get it..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• make them buy their own stuff.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• make em get a job...well the older one atleast. then sit down and work with them with their paychecks and show them how to do stuff. if need be sit down with them when you pay your bills and let them see your budget and all that good stuff
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 10:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• make them work for there money and buy there own stuff period.(except for the essentials like basic bathroom stuff and food) they dont even necessarily have to get a job make them do stuff for you if they want money. Like a few dollars to do yard work and other things that arent there basic chores
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Don't hand them anything. My oldest daughter paid all of her own bills. She bought her first car at 17. It only cost her 2000. but we took her to the bank and co-signed a loan for her with the agreement that if she couldn't pay (her payment was under 100.00 a month) we took the keys. She paid her own insurance, got her own cell phone, etc. She is now 25, married with two children and they bought their first home when she was 22 years old. She is very good with her money. she tells us she is very happy we made her pay for her own stuff. One of her friends mothers told me one time, that my daughter told her daughter she should be paying for her own insurance. If you don't hand them things (which you didn't say you do, so I am not saying you do)they will learn. You may not see it right away and they will complain, but they will thank you for it.
    Mykidsmaid

Answer by Mykidsmaid at 10:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Check out these resources by Dave Ramsey:

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/cms/kids_teens_money_5195.htmlc
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009