My best friend didnt pay her final bill for gas company?

What happens to her if she doesnt pay her final bill and does how long does colliection agency leave her name on there system i heard it can stay for 5 yrs is it true ?plz help me i want to help her ?When she tries to open her gas on her name will they let her or miss up her credit ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• They will have a collection agency after her. She wont be able to get gas at her new location, they will have her on record. It's not the wisest thing to do.
    Anonymous

• Will they put her on there record for 5yrs right
    Anonymous

• I am not sure about how long she will be on record but it will screw up her credit. They will come after her. Probably sue her if she doesn't make arrangements.
    Anonymous

• She wont be able to get another line in her name with that gas company until she pays it. It will go on her credit if she doesn't pay it within a certain amount of time. it will stay on her credit for a long time. At least 7 years, probably more. She should call them and set up a payment arrangement. Even if its small, it would be better than just not paying it. Oh.... and as far as the collection agency.... if the collection agency sells that account to another collection agency after 5 years, the second collection agency will contact her until they sell it to another agency, and that can go on forever. My uncle lived in FL in the 90s and just got a call from an old bill he never paid. It was from 1994.
    Anonymous

• it stays on her credit report for seven years. Collection agencies vary on how long they will harass someone. The debt will probably be sold many times over the next 7 years and each new collection agency will try to collect the debt.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• wow can she call them to tell them she needs time to pay her bill or not?
    Anonymous

• The best thing she can do is call. Many people think not calling is the best thing but most companies will work with you. They want their money, they will work with you if you are going to give it to them. Even if it's in payments.
    Anonymous

• THey will work with you, but yes they do send it to collection agencies and they can report it on her credit and most likely they will. SHe will not be allowed to get an acct with that company again until she pays it. If thats the only gas co, then she will have to pay a huge deposit next time and then have the balance added to her bill. They cant deny her gas, but they can make her pay out the butt for it. If there are other companies, then yes they can deny her all they want. I would tell her to call and just work something out with them. Most people are understanding in this economy that people need help. They just want to see if youre willing. Everyone I have spoken to has been super nice and helpful. I had my gas service extend my due date 7 days and I had my cell phone extend my due date 7 days. They were happy to help me as long as I did what I said. And I did. So theres no excuse for not working stuff out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009