why?

Hello...why my 10 months old baby does not look at me when i talk to him face to face?....he smiles or laughs like saying i know what you said but i do not want to make eye contact, other way when he is in his highchair and i talk to him he pays attention and do eye contact, but when i hold him nop....someone with the same experience? coul it be any problem? thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt anything is wrong. If he answers to his name and pays attention to you most of the time I wouldn't worry about it. He's probably got something else on his mind! Lots going on up there at 10 months, that's how old my daughter is too!!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My 3 month old does this. When i hold her she wants to look everywhere else and she smiles and coos but does not look at me much. When she is forced to look at me (kinda) on the floor or in her bumbo, I have great eye contact. Like the previous poster said...lots of things going on up there.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• sounds like you might be worried about autism. the social-avoidance aspect. I would think if the baby is interacting and snuggling with you in other ways, I would not be concerned. But I tell anyone this... if it's your gut instinct, don't ever ignore it and go have the conversation over the phone with your dr.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• We were worried about my niece with this. She's one and still sometimes looks away, or won't look. She's pretty much on her milestones, but my sil and bil are young and don't work with her much. I'm not worried about her being autistic though. But like PP said, go with your gut. Talk to your pedi next check up what other signs (repeated behavior patterns) you can look for. g/l
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It's probably fine. Think of it this way... who's face does he know the most, is he most familiar with, possibly bored of? What is new and exciting?... everything else in the world.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009