bottle feeding

I have to go back to work in a months and want to start my 3 months old son in bottle feeding, I try to gave him bottle but he refuse to eat. I try pump milk to bottle and have my husband gave it to him but he still refuse to eat . Any trick that you can teach me??

Also if he does drink it he only drink 2 oz?? Is it normal??? and how do I know if he have enough since I breastfeed him??

Thanks all .

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 11:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• *Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be very hungry, before his "usual" feeding time - when he starts to root or suck fingers, crying is a late cue of hunger.
    *Hold the baby lovingly while giving the bottle - seems obvious, but if the adult is frustrated or in a hurry about it, the baby may sense the tension, and refuse
    *Instead of pushing the bottle nipple into the baby's mouth, try laying it near his mouth and allow him to pull it in herself, or tickle the baby's mouth with nipple as many mothers do with the breast.
    *Try running warm water over the bottle nipple to bring it to room temp
    *Try different types of bottle nipples
    *Try to feed the baby while moving rhythmically - rocking, swaying, or walking, or even riding in a car seat
    *Insert the bottle nipple into the baby's mouth when he's sleeping
    *Keep trying, but baby can be fed mother's milk using other feeding methods, such as cup, spoon, eye dropper et
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• 2 ounces is fine! According to La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition, on average most breastfed babies take between 2-4 ounces about 8-12 times per day, consuming about 28-32 ounces total per day.
    maggiemom2000

• Try different nipples, try the old school non-silicon ones, try flat and round... squeeze a little milk out onto his lips and let him taste.. Oh! And try fast ones too, your milk might come out faster than the bottle nipples allow.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I would transition this way: Breastfeed as normal. then offer 2 oz. of formula, always making sure its nice and warm, the same as breastmilk. Remember that room temperatures is not warm, its actually quite cool. :) At the next feeding, do the same. If at the 1st feeding he emptied the 2 oz, then do 2 1/2 or 3 oz. the next feeding and so on. Each time keep bf first then bottle next.

i would also begin to build a good working schedule with him so that his tummy has time to empty. When babies tummies are even slightly full they do not eat well, or if at all. It takes human breast milk 3 hours to 4 to completely digest, and 4 complete hours for formula to digest in the stomach b/c of the proteins.

I would use this schedule: 7am, 11am, 3 pm, 7pm., an poss. just bf at 11pm if he wakes. If not, let him sleep thru.

Make sure that the hole in the nipple is sufficient for him to suck thru easily, but without choking.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• it took me about 3 weeks to get my son to drink formula from a bottle, he has been ebf and hes 6 mos now. at first he just played with the bottle, then he would drink 1or 2 oz at first, then soon after he started drinking all of it. i would offer it to him at one of his normal snack feeds about 4pm every day, eventually he will drink it. and dont be to fast to nure them, let them have the bottle for like 30min.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My daughter has been going to daycare for 3 weeks now and still doesn't take bottles from me or my husband, we tried before she started going to sort of let her get used to them but she refused. She eats about 3 oz from a bottle there so the 2 oz sounds OK to me.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009