• In the Spotlight:

How likely is an ultrasound...??

I have my first doctors appt. in the morning. This is my second pregnancy and the first time I had some problems so they did two very early ultrasounds (she is a healthy 11 month old now). But how likely is it that they will do one this time? I know the due date is off becuase my cycles are 40 days not the regular 28 so I'm hoping they will do one.... how often do they do them for the 1st visit? Thanks!

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 11:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got one my very first visit. I don't know if that was normal or not though!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 11:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• i had one done with both of my sons the first visit
    Anonymous

• I got one my first appointment but I had trouble conceiving and have PCOS, so I don't know if that's why I got it or if it was a normal thing. I was just so excited to see my baby. It was a blur that first couple weeks.
    Anonymous

• I had one at my first visit as well. I was only 12 weeks along and they couldn't pick up my baby's heartbeat on the doppler (which isn't uncommon for that early in pregnancy) so they did the ultrasound just to make sure my baby was alive and well. Sure enough the second they put the wand on my stomach, I saw him doing back flips and all! I would assume they will do an ultrasound at your first visit just to get an overall idea of how things look, but I can't say for sure. All doctors are different!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I got one because I didn't know how pregnant I was...
    Anonymous

• It probably depends on how far along you are at your first appt. I had an ultrasound at 10 wks but my first appt was at 5 wks.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• They usually always do them on the first visit, or at least schedule it for very soon(within two weeks) just because they can better pinpoint the gestation rather than just going by your lmp. I know with this pregnancy(I'm 30wks with my second) she was two weeks further than my lmp showed. So good luck!
    Lisa_Bug

Answer by Lisa_Bug at 11:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I got one my very first visit because my periods range anywhere from 40 days to whenever it feels liking coming. So if you would have went by the date of my last period I would have been 9 weeks but he did an ultrasound and i was only 4 weeks. Then i had one done 3 weeks later to see the heartbeat.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I got one with my first visit right away because I was smaller than I should've been to be as far along as I could've been.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I had one at my first appt, which was at 6 weeks pregnant. I had 2 miscarriages prior to that though so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2009