how do i get my hubby to want to read a book to our child?

he will read to him once in a while but if i tell him read him a bedtime story he says why and gives me a face. he will do it eventually and enjoys it and he tells me afterwards but i want him to want to do it without me telling him to

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• If he's like me, he doesn't like doing it. I don't mind it if it's just me and the kid/s but if anyone else is listening I don't like to do it. I like to do the funny voices and I get animated.
    You can't make him WANT to do it, but you can get your child to take the book to him and say "Daddy will you please read me a story"? My hubby will read to the kids when they ask him. I always got frustrated because one is a page flipper and the other wouldn't be still for me to read to her. I preferred to make up stories from the pictures in the book (both of us making up things from what we think they're doing... is more fun doing that I think).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• just say "humor me" ... and don't forget to smile :)
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• My hubby always has a problem reading out loud, but I just told him she loves him and just wants to be with him and reading her a story (or insert other activity here) will help them to bond and be close. I pointed out to him how she looks rejected when he sets the book aside and shrugs off her request. I told him not to shortcut parenting our daughter! :) He's a good father.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• I think sometimes men are shy when talking about this kind of things I dont think any guy likes to feel vulnerable and weak, when reading a book to a child the child in them comes out and for a moment they forget they are grown up men and they react as children with some of them enjoying the book more the the actual child, while others think is degrading to them, because they are MEN and men don't get emotional and open up like that. You might want to try doing it yourself until he asks if he could do it, as the baby grows up he'll realize that its just a way to bond with the children that reading a book to his baby is only gonna make him feel like a hero.
    pascualina11

Answer by pascualina11 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2009