Eating

I have the hardest time trying to get my daughter to eat. She is almost 13 months. She eats so little and I worry she is still hungry. I offer her food a lot and she always refuses. Any ideas?

Courtney508

Asked by Courtney508 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have always heard that toddlers only eat when they are hungry and not to worry about them not eating much.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• she'll be all right.. my dd doesn't eat very much.. a few bites here and there and she's at the healthy weight. Keep offering her food but she will eat when she's hungry. Also, I read their stomach is the size of their fist
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• She will be fine don't stress it because thats just going to make it worse. When you eat offer her some of your food. She may just want what your having. My DD was the same way at that age. Now shes 16months and eats every thing we give her. But I saw the change when I stop bresfeeding. She only drinks from a cup. Also don't fill her up with drinks. Well good luck.. As she grows she'll eat more..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 12:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My children's ped. always reminded her parents that babies cannot properly digest table foods till they have a full set of molars in the back in order to grind the food. This is the meal plan that she gave all of the parents:

My pediatrician recommended for over 70 years, feeding using this method:

Breakfast: 2 T. rice cereal
    2 T. protein (pureed meat or egg yolk)
    2 T. baby fruit (we always just used reg. applesauce)
    2 T. banana
    Mix together, heat and serve warm.

Lunch and supper: 2 T. rice cereal (for starch)
    2 T. protein (pureed meat)
    2 T. veg. (peas, carrots, squash, beans, beets, etc.)
    2 T. applesauce
    1 banana
    Mix together, heat and serve warm.

Our babies always ate very well and were the most healthy little un's we ever knew. Mixing the food together makes the food taste nice and sweet the same that saliva does in the mouth.

All of the babies I witnes
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• been excellent eaters as well as extremely healthy b/c this diet is complete with everything that the human body needs to grow fast and strong. I did not feed my first two babies this way & they seemed to have had alot of ear infections as well as being cranky & not good eaters at all.

My second two babies were fed like this from the beginning and were so healthy we rarely saw a doctor. I have seen dozens of babies on this food schedule & people comment on how easy it is (as well as a no-brainer for parents), to feed their little Ones. Babies seem to open their mouths, eat it all within a few min. and are done!

Remember that warming the food also comforts the body. We would never open a can of peas and serve them to the table. Room temp, is actually cool so always serve her food warm and you'll see such a diff. :) I know this will work well for you and you'll never have to worry if she's getting a complete diet.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, & she will start eating. As long as she is continuing to develop normally, she is fine. It is extremely important to not fuss about her eating, as this can lead to eating disorders down the road.
    Here are some suggetions on what to offer her:
    diced avocado
    tofu cubes
    whole grain crackers with sunflower butter
    baked sweet potato
    frozen peas, corn and blueberries (she will roll them around, she will eat some)
    puffed rice
    puffed corn
    hummus mixed with a smashed hard boiled egg
    cooked bean or lentils
    Smoothie: frozen blueberries, frozen banana (masks the kale), kale(Iron and calcuim), orange juice (Increases absorbion of iron), soy yogurt (protein)
    There is a wonderful book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library; there is some information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much. My niece eats very little, a nibble here and a nibble there, as is very healthy. Kids won't stave themselves.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009