need health insurance for pregnancy

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant. We just lost our health insurance because my husband is currently unemployed. It is a long story but we had our own policy that we paid for, not through work, and lost it because we could no longer make the monthly payments. Anyway, does anyone know of any health insurance that I could get? Even if it is just for the pregnancy? I have applied for medical assistance for us and am waiting on a reply. I was just looking for some other options in case that doesn't work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wish I could help you but I have no idea. Have you tried talking to your dr or even the hospital you plan on delivering at? They might be able to tell you where you can get insurance for little to nothing just for the remainder of the pregnancy. Good Luck and I hope you find something soon.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ever tried to get on medicaid? thats what im on it pays for everything during your pregnacy
    miss_ashley225

Answer by miss_ashley225 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• All pregnant women qualify for Medi-cal, it is dependent on your income though as to how much you have to pay out of pocket. But you can get it just for the pregnancy and there isn't a income limit to be accepted. It is to ensure proper health care for the baby during pregnancy.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It shouldn't take long for you to get approved for the medical assistance, def. with pregnancy and your situation i forget how long it was for me, maybe a week or two. You should get it though!, then once you have the baby your still covered for another 30 or 60 days, i forget which it is, and the baby is covered for the first year.
    mammajulez

Answer by mammajulez at 12:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If you explained your situation to medicaid then they should def help you. If not then appeal. If your income is low they HAVE to give you insurance.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• medical assistance won't turn you down at least not until after the pregnancy. Even if you go into labor the hospital has to take you and they can bill med. assist. The problem might be with your dr though if he/she doesn't take med assist payments.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• all pregnant women are approved for medical assitance with medicad and medicare so i think youll be fine with those
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:31 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• COBRA. Your husbands former employer HAS to give him the option to continue his insurance on his own. Yes he will have to pay for it but given your circumstances I think it would be the best option and probably the least expensive (assuming you cant get medicaid). My husband is a freelance broadcaster so unfortunately I know alot about medical insurance...lol...and I am currently 37 wks pregnant with our second child. We used to insure ourselves. The thing is that most heath ins providers (if not all) where you insure yourself do not cover maternity. Some (and this varies by state) offer an option to pay additional on top of what you are already paying for it but it needs to be established before you get pregnant and many of them have a mandatory waiting period where you need to be paying in for anywhere from 6 to 12 months. The only one we found that didn't was Golden Rule (or United Health Care) but the coverage
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Cont....

sucked in general and really sucked for the maternity portion. It is also fairly expensive to insure yourself, especially when you consider the crappy coverage in comparison to the coverage given to a company. When we were insuring ourselves we paid about $500/month. Eventually what my husband I ended up doing was incorporating so that we would be considered a small business. Now we pay more, $1,200/mo, but the coverage is much, much, much better and more complete. Lots of luck! I'd go with the Cobra!
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:32 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i needed some kind of insurance because my dr. wouln't accept insurance from my mom if i was pregnant. so they told me about medicade and i really needed it BAD! because i was told that if i don't get some kind of insurance that my next appt was going to cost 1,500 and i knew i couldn't afford that especially if it was going to keep adding up like that so it was the day before my appt and i got all my medicade informatin ready and i faxed all the stuff i needed to fax to my social worker (because i knew i would have no time to drive up there or mail it to her since i only had a days time to do it) and by the end of the day they accepted me all i needed to was get some kind of proof that i was accepted so i called my social worker and she faxed a paper to me saying i was accepted and i took it to my dr appt the next day and they said it was fine. and i got my medicade card about a week later. so you should really get on it
    Anonymous