now what???

My 12 month old has learned to crawl out of his crib. He isn't even walking yet, and climbs the side of his crib. Thankfully I heard something going on in his room and caught him before he landed on his head. I laid him back down and he climbed out several time (as I watched him) before I gave up and took him to bed with me. What do I do?? I have lowered the bed as far as it goes, and the railing is as high as it goes. I removed all toys and the bumper, but he can still scale the side of the crib. I am at a loss... He's to little for a toddler bed. Please help me!

coffeemom86

Asked by coffeemom86 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe a toddler bed would be safer for him even if he is little. Maybe you can put some bed rails on it, even if he climbs over it it won't be as far down to go. That's all i can think of to do.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think your best option is a toddler bed (most have side rails) and then a babgate at the door. However, if you really don't want to do that you can get what is called a Crib Tent (and they have the Crib Tent II, I don't know what the difference is).

It's basically a mesh dome that keeps your kiddo from escaping, but I don't like them personally cause I don't like to keep my kid caged anywhere as is, lol.

But, I do have a friend who uses one and I think that's fine, whatever works I guess.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You might have to switch to a toddler bed. Or move him into your room. Crib tents are not good. There have been many reports of children getting strangled by them malfunctioning. I would never use one.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• A crib tent.
    Mine started trying to climb out at 11 months. There was no way she was ready for the freedom of a bed. She was walking and climbing anything she could - including the rocking chair in her room and, if left unsupervised, I'm certain the bookcase, the dresser, and the chaging table. So, I put in a crib tent. She loved it and was very happy in her crib until I moved her to a bed at 30 months.

And in case your are wondering, a child is unsupervised all night while mom is asleep. Even with a good baby monitor, you can't prevent danger ahead of time - only hear it after the fact.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• the crib tent is only a strangulation risk when it has been ripped or damaged. Intact it is perfectly safe as there is not where for their heads to get stuck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would probably try the pack and play and if that still doesnt work, I would think about his safety and just put the mattress on the floor while he's old enough for a toddler bed. Of course putting a gate in his room. Hopefully he won't climb over that.
    pascualina11

Answer by pascualina11 at 2:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• maybe he's ready for a big boys bed' but I would put a mattress on the floor by the bed so if he falls he doesn't hurt himself. Thats all.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2009