Hypospadias??

Does anyone else have a son or know anyone that has hypospadias? My son does and I was wondering what all they have to do to fix it? I'm really nervous bc we go to vanderbilt childrens hospital tomorrow for the dr to examine and set a date for surgery

kcriswell

Asked by kcriswell at 12:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The procedure takes about 45 min to 1 hour depending on the surgeon. Basically they just take some of the skin and cut it to "stretch" around the opening to make a correct opening....it's a very tiny area that they are working with and they do a "block" so he's not in any pain...it's extemely common. I work in surgery and have done probably about 50-100 of them. and they all end up looking very natural and normal...good luck to you and your little guy. Its normal to be nervous, but he will be fine=)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My friend's son has this. He has had a couple surgeries for it and from what he says it is relatively simple. He's had to have the procedure repeated several times because he has a lot of health issues but he does well with it every time!!! Good luck!!!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• When they went to circimsize my son they thought he had one. He sent us to the Childrens hospital. So we went and it turned out to be a mega meatus which just means that the opening is a little bigger than normal. SO just wait and see but I hear it's fairly common. I was a nervous wreck too. Basically they fix it so that the boys dont pee on their shoes. I am waiting until my son gets older and make sure he is peeing ok. Let me know how it goes if you wouldnt mind in case we eventually need to do this too.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 12:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009