Miscarriages~ Why?

So I've seen a lot of women posting about their miscarriages and my heart goes out to you. If I make anyone feel uncomfortable with this, I am terribly sorry and hope you do not take this as an intrusion. Feel free to post anon.

My question is this;
What reason did the doctor give you/your friends/relatives after the miscarriage?

I appreciate all answers, Thank you.

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 12:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No reason, I just go the "this happens in 1 out of 4 pregnancies". Sensitive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My sister has a clotting disorder and issues with her cervix not wanting to stay closed.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No reason. Like someone else said, it happens to approx. 20-25% of all pregnancies. Most women don't realize they were even pregnant when it happens early.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If there is a specific reason for a miscarriage, then the doctor will usually tell the patient, because there may need to be a follow up on it, like with a clotting disorder. But to tell you the truth, there really isn't much to tell about miscarriages. For some reason, the fetus stops growing and the body helps shed the remains out. Usually it is some growth enomaly that somehow your body knows about, before science and technology can see it. That's built in survival of the fittest. After a point in the pregnancy, usually around 20 weeks, routine tests and ultrasound can show possible problems. With third trimester miscarriage, there is usually a cord mishap, like it gets wrapped around the neck or tied in a knot. But sometimes, no matter what, we can't tell for sure. Most of the time, the pt will go on to have normal pregnancies after that. It is literally the luck of the draw sometimes. Not easy, but the truth.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Wow... So sad. This breaks my heart.. Thanks again for sharing.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• When I miscarried my daughter they said it was due to "Chromosomal" defects. He said that was the most common reason for miscarriages and that it accounted for 70-80 percent of miscarriages. He also said that 80 percent of all pregnancies end in miscarriage but seeing as it happens so early in the pregnancy (less than 4 weeks along) most women don't even know they were pregnant to know they had had one. He said it was only because of early response pregnancy tests that this is becoming known to women.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 1:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i had 3 miscarrages and there was no reason given . we lost all 3 at about 8 weeks . i never thought id have another baby because it went like this , my son 5 years ago , then 3 miscarriages last year. but right after the last miscarriage i got pregnant with our daughter and she is here now and 6 weeks old. i still dont know why i miscarried 3 times in a row tho
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I have had 13 miscarriages. I was told I have PCOS and missing a kidney and have a deformed womb.

My body does not make progestrone and need supplements early on, often before a positive test can be given.

My cervix is also tiny and thins out early on and have to get a cerclauge, (sew the cervix shut to keep the baby in}

I have two miracle children, and doctors marvel at the power of prayer. I have had complete strangers pray for me when I was pregnant.

I morn the loss of my other children and still want a big family, but I beginning to accept that my Heavenly Father knows what is best for me and my family.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 2:31 AM on Jun. 5, 2009