How would you describe contractions to someone who doesn't get menstrual cramps?

People keep telling me contractions can feel like strong menstrual cramps. But the problem for me is I've never had menstrual cramps. The most I get on my period is heaviness down there, and bloating.

Is there a better way to describe what they may feel like. Be as detailed as you can, it would help a lot.

I know this is asked a lot.

CamiiiCompasion

Asked by CamiiiCompasion at 1:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I must say, you are super duper lucky if you have NEVER had menstrual cramps!!! I get them sooooo bad that I cant walk... they KILL!!!
    This might be TMI... but when I had contractions (since they were in my back) I felt like I had a LOT of pressure in my butt, like I had a huge heavy poop trying to push its way out... and like my crotch area was gonna fall off!!! sorry that was totally TMI, good luck though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i guess i would say like someone squeezing the crap out of your tummy and then towards the end mine felt like someone was pulling me apart with a white hot poker...lol....i didnt really know what to expect either cuz i had never really gotten craps
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• So, you never heard Bill Cosby's description? He said it feels like this: Pull out your bottom lip and now try to pull it over your head! LOL! I still laugh at that.

Have you ever had stomach cramps with sickness, diarrhea or anything? It's very similar to that. Only what is happening if your cervix is opening. To me, it was unbearable. It was the worst pain I have ever had. Even a tooth problem would be better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Have someone take their hands and put them around your arm muscle then have them twist in opposite directions, gently at first then stronger (tighter). That's the best i can think of. If you don't have cramps then you may not have strong labor pains (or can't feel them). You might tell your dr you don't have cramps.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Is it anything like gas cramps? I've had cramps with diarrhea i think, but it was such a long time ago.
    Hopefully they'll be different enough from what I've been feeling to be able to tell that it's not just "cramps".
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 1:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LIke bad diarrhea cramps (ever had food poisoning?) but instead of in your gut they go all the way around your back!
    I am the opposite, had terrible menstrual cramps and then never felt my contractions really.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Do they only hurt like bad menstrual cramps when they're like 5 minutes apart? Like what about when they're 15 minutes apart? do they hurt less?
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 1:33 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I hated the fact that everyone told me I'd know when I went into labor."Oh, you'll know" they said. They were wrong! I woke up and felt like I had to pee so I got up went to the bathroom and nothing happened not even a drop. I tried to lay back down and was kinda restless. Felt like I had to pee again. Nothing. I did this a couple more times but didn't feel like going back upstairs. I sat up on the couch doing a puzzle for hours waiting for my mother to wake up so I could ask her. By the time she woke up I had a strong feeling I was in labor. I had a back injury before I got pregnant so my back always hurt but the pain in my back was awful and it came in waves every five minutes or so. That's the only way I knew and still wasn't sure so we called the doctor and he told us to come in. Hope this helped.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 5:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2009