Having fears of something bad happening?

My son is almost a year old and like all new moms at first I was afraid of something happening to him, SIDS, kidnapping, all kinds of things. Then I kind of calmed down but now recently I keep having these bad feelings that something will happen to him. My DH thinks I'm just being overprotective, but I can't shake this. Has anyone else had these fears and what did you do to get through them?

cjbj08

Asked by cjbj08 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are just being a mom. We all have those fears. And I am sorry to tell you, they will be with you as long as you are a mom. My kids are grown with kids of their own now and I still worry. Now, I have more to worry about. It never ends. Sigh............
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• my dad told me the same thing as m-avi... i guess they never stop... *sigh*
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yes, I feel so CONSUMED by those fears. They are never ending. When I get really worked up I have to think to myself "Hopefully I am never there, but these are things that can only be dealt with once they happen and I will take it from there."
    For now, I just find comfort in knowing that I am doing the best job I can at protecting my son from life's dangers.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Its in your nature. Your a mom now. it never gets much easier. I feel bad becase I've alwayse got those thoughts of something bad happening. But the I learned to pray through those thoughts. It really does help.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 2:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I thought I had this crazy 1st time mother fear just because that's normal but I wish I hadn't chalked it up to that because after I went back to work my son, 7 months old at the time, suffered a TBI at the hands of a sitter. Not to scare you, just know these things happen to anyone. I'm an educated mother and thought it could never happen to my son. I was wrong. But God never gives you more than you can handle.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 4:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree its just what comes with being a mom. When my son was still in a crib ( he was moved to a full at 14 months) I would lie in bed having the feeling that if I died in my sleep know one would know until hubby got home from work and he would be in there crying, hungry and wet. Man did I hate that feeling.
    Dianneakamommy

Answer by Dianneakamommy at 8:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If u become obessed about it go seea doctor for anxiety meds. It is normal to have some fears, but dont let it be a constant state of mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It's just a part of motherhood. Our natural instict is to protect our children from any and all harm. Unfortunately, one of the side effects is we are always thinking worst case scenarios. But in a way, it's a good thing. It keeps us alert to our children. We don't let them wander too far away, or swim alone in the pool, or spend the night at a friend's house that we don't really know. It can seem overwhelming, but I don't think it'll ever go away either. If you really think about it, would you want it too? Our children are our most precious gifts. Of course we want to protect them with our very lives. Just stay in prayer and ask God to help you through the really tough times. It does help ease some of the anxiety. Good Luck and God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It is a part of Motherhood, but if it continues to be a problem, if it makes you not live a normal life and allow your kids to live a normal life then get help. You may be suffering from some type of anxiety disorder. To worry is normal, but to become frozen in fear is not. I remember when my son was born, I would have terrible visions of the sun going out and we are all slowly freezing to death. I thought I would have to give my kids cough medicine too the point they would just fall asleep and never wake up. That way I did not have to watch them suffer. Try not to let your fears run away from you. Be aware and watchful but live and let them live.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It may be a part of motherhood but you need to find a way to not let it control your life. If you act afraid all the time, then you will pass that fear onto your children and they will not want to do or try anything. Let them live their lives, live yours but be watchful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2009