Can you dilate before you efface or do you have to have effaced some?

I haved google the heck out of this question but I keep getting conflicting information. Even between 2 reputable health organization sites there is conflicting information!!

I went to the doctor today and she said I was 1 cm dilated but said nothing about effacment. She didn't talk a whole lot about anything but my blood pressure because it was really high. I was going to ask but there was such a concern over my blood pressure I forgot all my questions.

I know that dilation and effacement means little in regards to birth but with my blood pressure being high and the possibility of an induction in the future I'm trying to add up my Bishop's score to determine the likelihood of a sucessful induction.

SO since I'm 1 cm dilated...does that mean that I'm at least a little effaced or can you dilate before you efface?

This is my second baby...I don't know if that matters.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can dilate before you efface.
    I didn't. But you can.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 1:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• um i do think u can dilate before effacing... i was 1cm and 50% effaced and than a week later 2cm dilated and 70% effaced, so i dont have the experience of being dilated without being effaced.... im sure your at least some what effaced though.... But irregardless your making process which is awesome!!! gl mama.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 6:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• From what I understand, Effacement is the thinning of the cervix and dialation is the opening. you typically should be thinned out before opening, however it can happen at the same time. even in reverse, theres no right or wrong way
    Jmarohn

Answer by Jmarohn at 9:57 PM on May. 17, 2012