I have a new baby that is 8 weeks old and I need some advice on taking care of him and paying attention to my 3 year old. I have a 8 year old but hes understanding. I always feel horrible I am not giving her my 24/7 attention anymore.

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 2:07 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know how this can be... my daughter felt left out when the baby brother came home... I just asked her to help me alot... which she really loved... she felt big and important... tell her that the certain things you ask her to do are really important things and that not just anyone can do them... that you need help, if she wants to help! My daughter LOVED it... she felt important cause she got to help... she never felt left out after we did that! Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just make some time for the little one. Everyday do something special. Color read watch a cartoon or play outside for a little bit. The 8 yr old also needs some bonding with you as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Time for mommy & me. Carve out some special time each day to spend alone with only one of your children. The baby gets it plenty and while the 8 y/o may understand they still need you. Let them come talk to you about their day while you cook. During the baby's nap spend some crazy time playing on the floor with your 3 y/o. At dinner time, don't forget to play best/worst. (WHat is the best thing that happend to you today? What is the worst?) We used to throw in silly questions (WHat is the pinkest thing that happened? That will get them thinking
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 3:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I understand your feelings. I have a 38, 25, 14 and 13 year olds. I devoted some part of the day to each according to their level so no one felt left out. Of course, the oldest felt special for pitching in for the younger two. The oldest got more privileges as well.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would spend time with your 3 year old when the baby is napping. As for your 8 year old. Could you schedule it out that your 2 youngest go to bed an hour before the 8 year old? Then spend that hour playing a game, doing a craft, cooking treats for the next day, reading or just talking. Don't feel bad if there are days when this just cannot happen, after all there are three of them and one of you. Just try to make them feel unique and special. Those one on one times will make for wondeful memories.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 8:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Welcome to motherhood...again. lol....I feel the same way as you. My children are 15, 10, and 6. And there's always guilt that I could be doing more. Like when my oldest has a track meet out of state, yet my 10 year old (who is sick) needs me at home that day, or my 6 year old feels like I spend more time with the other two than her. And vice versa. It' a no win situation. I try to make them understand that there are 3 of them and only one of me, so I can't be 3 places at once. I try to even it out, but I'm exhausted...Teenagers are usually all about themselves, and six year olds are still "the baby", and a middle child seems to always have that middle child syndrome. hahaha
    I know it's hard, but just do the best you can and give the guilt to God. I'm actually glad you asked this question because it made me search a little deeper myself. It's much easier to give advice than to take it.........lol I think the
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• word guilt is just attached to the word "mom. " automatically. Good Luck...God Bless
    lighthousemom3

• A child doesn't need 24/7 attention. It is all about the quality of time that you spend with them. Set aside some time everyday and read, play a game, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2009