How Would You Feel If Your Man Said You Need To Take Medication To Be With Him?

We got in a huge fight you know how us woman get mad at times that he says that im bipolar ... & If i dont get on medication were done how would you feel? I dont even see nothing wrong with me i just feel like a monster just for being myself and just aguring im only human..How would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• my hubby says that too. I have extremely bad depression (but it was half postpartum and then he deployed and the entire process of our life in 8 months). I didn't notice it, and when I take it we have a GREAT day.... when i don't i just sit and cry. I'm still taking some but not as much as before and he's deployed so when he gets home i can get off... but if it helps you, go for it! I used to get mad over little stuff (like what shows we were watching) but never saw a problem until he told me OVER and OVER and OVER i needed something to help. It worked!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You may not see you have it. Maybe talk to a Dr. and tell him what is going on!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think this would be a huge sign that I needed to take a HUGE step back and really re-evaluate a lot of things. Maybe there's some truth to what he says, and you do need meds. Maybe he's full of it and you're totally fine, and maybe the truth is somewhere in between.

I think the absolute first step would be to find a counselor, because they would be a trained, unbiased professional who would be able to look at your individual situation and at your relationship (maybe they could talk to both of you together some of the time), and they could help you determine if you need meds or if he needs a reality check.

But whether he's right or not, I would take this as a HUGE HUGE HUGE sign that your relationship is in real trouble and will be over without something changing. What needs to change would be up to you all and a counselor though.

gl
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I didn't see it and i swear up and down and I'm on meds now and I'm a much more pleasant person to be around. Even my family noticed a difference. Just talk with the doctor.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Are you married to him? If you are not, then get away from him. If he is your legally married husband, then the two of you see a doctor together. Bipolar is very often misdiagnosed. Actual cases of it are very, very rare. Most of the time, there are underlying reasons for the behavior, but the doctors and therapists are not going to take the time to get to the root of the problem. They will only put you on drugs to control the symptoms. I've been through this mess and I know whereof I speak. Anger is one big key that there are other things going on. Perhaps you have just never learned to properly express anger. Anger is an emotion just like all the others. It's what you do with it that makes all the difference. Very few people understand the numbers of people in the world today who are now living with the results of a lifetime of trauma to their emotions. Not much is being done to help them, either.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The first thing I would do is be honest with myself and really look to see if there is any truth to what he says. See a dr. You can even find little quizzes and stuff online, that although they cannot diagnose you, can give you some insight into what the dr might ask you, and help you to see if there is any truth to what he's said to you. Often, people with bipolar do not realize they have a problem. If you see a dr, and it turns out that you do not have a problem, bipolar or otherwise, then it would be time to re-evaluate whether you want to be with a man who can say things like that to you. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Without knowing the full situation and how you guys are as a couple, you can take what he said on board or realise that it is not always about women's emotions when couples fight. I hate that saying! My dh tried it on me and was told in no uncertain terms that I was not hormonal but angry with his behaviour. Saying something like that is often in anger and as a way to control a woman. It involves making her feel so insecure and in self doubt that they can control the situation. It is also a way that anger is expressed and a very dysfunctional way to act. I have been there done this and maybe try couples counselling to get to the root of the problem and have a non biased third person
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 8:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I dont think I would feel very pleasant, and I would for sure be hurt, but maybe there is something to what he is saying. I know that I act bipolar. No doubt about it. Well, not bipolar in the sense that I have mania and depression. I just have these mood swings that hit me out of nowhere. When I am stressed, I yell at everyone. I try not to but its like I just cant control it. But thats an excuse and its my crap to deal with. He might just be overly sensitive. My dh and I have been married for 14 yrs, so he knows me by now. He just puts up with it and minds his own business. I come out of it shortly...LOL. Just take a step back and really evaluate this like the other ladies have said. He might have a point and he might not but this needs to be worked out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Even if he said it out of anger and no real fact, the fact is that you two aren't communicating well that insults are being thrown out like that and at best, he really thinks you need help. So either way, there is something bigger going on that you two need to figure out.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:42 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just because YOU dont see something wrong, doesnt mean there isnt. What will it hurt to see a dr? If nothing's wrong, then nothings wrong, but if there is a problem there, you've gotten a chance for help.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2009