What do you think is the best carseat after the infant carseat?

Other than the Britax b/c I just simply cannot afford to pay over $300 dollars for a carseat or anything else for that matter. Please ladies, I am about to pull my hair out trying to decide on the best possible carseat for my child. My spending limit is $250.00. That's really all that I've got to spend. My son will be turning one soon and it's really time for a carseat upgrade. I'd like one that rearfaces up to at least 35lbs. and, forward faces up to at least 40-65 lbs and converts to a booster seat later on. The less the weight limit, the better. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I meant to say the higher the weight limit, the better, lol. -OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• britax marthon..... get a used one of craiglist.. but consumer reports gives this car seat an A- look it up!
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 3:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Don't 'buy a used car seat. People can claim they hav enever been in an accident or anything but you just don't know. We purchased a new Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Convertible care seat for our little guy and love it. We got it on walmarrt.com for $40 less than the in store price and was delivered to our door for only 97 cents! It is rated for up to 65 lb. 5 point harness and a 100 lb booster. It has a cup holder and little cubby for toys, etc.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 6:41 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Do people seriously spend 300 on a carseat?????? I would not spend over 100!!!!!
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 7:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would recommend a First Years Truefit or an Evenflo Triumph ADVANCE, both are great seats that will last a long time and are less than $200. They both rf to 35lbs. and the ETA harnesses to 50lbs. and the Truefit harnesses to 65lbs.

However, they don't become boosters so once your child is older and has outgrown the seat, you'll need a good dedicated booster seat. Most of the seats that rf, ff, and then convert to boosters don't make very good boosters anyway, and are often outgrown by height before the child hits the weight limit. Plus, you can get a good booster for $50 and you won't need it for a long time. As the PP said, I would avoid used seats.

The Graco Natualis is also a great seat, but its only for older children as it doesn't rearface. It is a forward facing only seat. The AAP now recomends that children remain rearfacing until they are 2yrs. old and 30lbs. as it is 5x safer than forward facing.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Hey, The Evenflo Triumph Advance is what I got for my little man. It rear faces to 35lbs, then harnesses to 50, but once he is forward facing... along time from now, he's only 9mths, I'm gonna get him a Graco Nautilus, which is what my 5 year old is harnessed in, it harnesses to 65lbs. If you got the money I would go with the Tru Fit. It has a tall shell, so your baby could really make it to the 35lb rear facing limit without outgrowing it heighth wise first. Then it harnesses forward facing to 65lbs. Its runs less than $200, and the Evenflo runs around $140. Do not put your baby in a Graco Nautilus right now, or anytime before the age of 2, seriously, that seat is for older KIDS. not babies.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i would recomend looking at consumer reports evenflo triumph was b+..... but dont get eddie b.. whatever i cant spell it that seat rated as a c-
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Graco My Ride 65! It rear-faces up to 40 pounds (the only carseat in the US to rear-face that high!) and forward faces with a 5-point harness up to 65 pounds and 49 inches tall.
    Costs about $150-$160!

http://carseatblog.com/?p=2312
    AudMama

Answer by AudMama at 7:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There are all sorts of reviews here too.

http://carseatnanny.blogspot.com/
    AudMama

Answer by AudMama at 7:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• well i liked the ones that go over the head there like $60 and then i have just a standard one that was like $50 they work great got them at wal-mart my kids love them
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009