What do you think of the name Olive for a girl?

We had originally picked out Olivia for a girls name but I'm starting to feel like it is being used ALOT. We were also using it as an alternative to Olive, which was my great-grandmother's name, but I'm starting to think I really like the name Olive now... What do you think?

MrsBeck

Asked by MrsBeck at 8:44 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I LOVE that name!!!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I named my daughter Olivia while I knew it was popular. I chose it because of its classic femininity. Popularity indicates that it is in good taste. It is also not a "new" name, so while it is trending just as Emily and Elizabeth have in other decades, it is a true classic. Due to her spunky personality, she goes by Liv. Most people know her as Liv. Olive is cute, and more popular in the U.K. than it is her in the U.S. However, I tend to think it is less versatile and sounds adorable for a child but I love it less for an adult.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Wanted to add, that I have a less common name and am forced to teach every person I encounter how to pronounce and spell it. I am often called Carrie, Karen, Carol. That is also why I prefer traditional names with traditional spellings.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Don't like it, I just think of eating olives, but it's your decision. My daughters name is Olivia and I don't know anyone else with that name so far.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I LOVE THAT NAME!!! If i wasn't so stuck on Chloe, i might wanna steal it from ya! ;)
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• oh, and i don't think there would be teasing - maybe calling her olive oil, like from popeye!! or wasn't the little girl in the film 'Little Miss Sunshine' named Olive? Yes, and she was an interesting character. Interesting names make for interesting personalities.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I like Olive. I think its great!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• That is my mothers name and my Great Aunts name. And they both HATE IT!!!!! with a passion
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• it's cut ebut it reminds me of olive oil from popeye :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I love it! It reminds me of Pushing Daisies, the TV show, Kristen Chenoweth's character is named Olive. :) Too bad the show is being canceled..

Doudy2148

Answer by Doudy2148 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2009