I hate money (ranting)

The cost of living is ridiculous!!! I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a kid cable t.v. was $20 a month. My gas and electric is $197 every month on a protection plan! Robbery! And food... if I had a choice not to rent and actually had a yard, I'd grow some of my own. This is crazy! Gas is almost $3 again where I live. Would anyone else like to join me in going back in time 20 or 30 years when wages better covered expenses and the economy was on the up? This freaking sucks but the funny thing, the thing I can't wrap my head around is: We don't do that bad. In fact, 20 years ago, on my husband's current salary, we'd be rich. Well, not rich but... Where does it all go? We're on a pretty tight budget, I track every minor expenditure. I hate this stress. I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

iluvmommyhood58

Asked by iluvmommyhood58 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband loves creating debt. He has a fear of a positive savings account so I put money in another account that he can not touch and we use that for trips and vacations. If its in our account then its spent. I live in Virginia Beach and gas isn't cheap here either and food prices are a little crazy so we buy store brands on what we can and go without a lot of things to avoid the costs unless we need them. Once are bills are paid we still have 900 from his check left each month, its just a matter of if we keep or spend it. I hate money as well, but it makes the world go round.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think what you pay is cheap. My dish runs me about $40 a mo so that is more expensive than a few years ago, but I have separate gas and electric bills. Since Jan, apparently the rates have went up. It was super cold in GA in Jan. My gas bill was $300 and usually I have a lower electric bill since it only runs the furnace but doesnt create the heat. It was also almost $300. Then in Feb, the gas bill was $200 and the electric was $187. Then March, they both were around $150. Now the gas is about $80ish and the electric is $150. So I got slammed at the beginning of the year and I noticed that it was more expensive than in the last 2 that I have lived here. Yeah the gas is making me mad. Its $2.39 here but thats usually lower than the national average. GA is the last place for gas to go sky high. I should have gotten rid of my SUV in the fall...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You know, we have money left over too, usually... and I think it's the problem of being in our account, like you said. If it's there, it's spent. I should really put it in the savings BEFORE the month is over. Thanks.
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I hear ya OP and I am just as frustrated.
    Unfortunately, there are many of us in the same situation and I have this gut feeling, which I hope is wrong, that the economy will get a lot worse before it starts to get better. :(
    As long as we work together and understand each other's frustrations and fears, as long as we keep tightening our belts as best as we can, as long as we learn that the basics are all that we need, then we may be able to get through this crisis.
    I wish you all the best. I'm very sorry it is difficult right now. {{{Hugs}}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It does seem like crap to bust your butt all day, week, month or year long and still have to live paycheck to paycheck. But if you ask someone living as an adult 20 or 30 yrs ago, they will tell you it was the same. The cost of living may have been cheaper, but the paychecks were lower.
    You mentioned planting a garden to defray the cost of food, PM if you want. I live on a small lot but I grow tons of things in the summer by verticle gardening. I would love to share how you can do it too. Keep your chin up, I think some day we will all look back and tell our kids these were the good ole days.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• yeah, paychecks were lower but they went farther. and the thought of telling my kids these were the "good ole days" is a scary thought too. lol.

vertical gardening... that sounds very interesting. I need help with gardening in general. My green thumb is brown and shriveled. Is it too late to plant or... how does that work?
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009