Strange dreams

I dreamed last night that I had sex with my mother. I can't tell what age I am in the dreams. This isn't the first time it has happened. It was never consensual on my part in the dreams either. My mother was emotionally abusive and neglectful towards me growing up (she was a single mother), and she depended on me in a way that wasn't healthy till I moved away from her and broke contact.

Is this just a metaphor for how she emotionally and mentally "raped" me for years, or is at all possible she has actually done this to me in the past?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Not to sound all Freudian, but I would think that it's you striving for the intimacy that you never received from your mother. For some people, sex is the ultimate intimacy. I don't know you, but that is how I would interpret the dream.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Actually, the first poster is right. I had a conversation with my psychologist about that subject once and she said when we have a sex dream about someone it normally has nothing to do with actual sex, it means that we want attention from that person. Maybe you're just dreaming like that because I'm sure that you wanted attention you weren't receiving from your mother. Maybe did you talk to her or was there something that happened recently that made you think about how she should have treated you as opposed to how she did? That might be what your dream is all about.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• dawpea said exactly what I was going to say, and also to add that sex dreams are not always about the sex, sometimes its about what we also associate with sex like love intamacy attention, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to figure out if she sexually abused you or not, but I would suggest seeking out some sort of therapy to work through your emotions.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009